May 01, 2024, 11:18:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Diiference between 99-05 and 06 and newer heads.

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, January 13, 2010, 02:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

January 13, 2010, 02:50:14 PM Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:15:05 PM by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ
What are the differences between the 99-05 and 06 and between 06 thru '10.

One specific question, is the 06 and 07 heads equal?

I see a lot of 110 SE heads for sale on ebay for cheap money, Why? is there an issue?

I understand some of the differences between 99-05 and 06's but any info would be great.
Member since 2004

MaxxV4

99 thru 04 had the 5/16" valve stems,(IIRC)with dual springs. 05 was the first year for the 7 mm valve stems and beehive springs. The 05 also had smaller exhaust ports and the earlier 05's has valve stem seal problems. The 06 had larger exhaust ports and had cured the valve seal problems. I'm not sure if the 07's are the same as the 06's. (Probably) The 08's had the additional top stabilizer mount on the front head. (I think)  :bf:
Hope this helps,
Mike

Horizonmech

January 13, 2010, 04:05:50 PM #2 Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:12:26 PM by Horizonmech
Heres one diff...also beehive springs.....there are more.......

I havent done alot of research about the SE heads but I think most of the head builders will tell you to start out with the standard units and build with them.....think the SE's have some combustion chamber issues and are somewhat difficult to configure properly.......  :pop::

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

hightop

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on January 13, 2010, 02:50:14 PM
What are the differences between the 99-05 and 06 and between 06 thru '10.

One specific question, is the 06 and 07 heads equal?

I see a lot of 110 SE heads for sale on ebay for cheap money, Why? is there an issue?

I understand some of the differences between 99-05 and 06's but any info would be great.
The exhaust port is much better on the '06 and later head, the short side radius (floor) on the intake side is better also, the intake bowl is a different shape, and the port is slightly bigger overall on the intake of the late head. All the late 96" heads share the same port as the '06. So to answer your question the '06 and '07 heads are equal. The castings with the winged P (parker?) are better IMO than the mercury castings.
Most if not all of the 110 heads on ebay are most likely recall heads, the factory didn't ask for them back when the dealers changed them.

FLTRI

Quote from: hightop on January 13, 2010, 08:20:59 PM
... Most if not all of the 110 heads on ebay are most likely recall heads, the factory didn't ask for them back when the dealers changed them.
And if you can get 'em for a song, then send them off to get them fixed and maybe a bit of reshaping, etc you could have a great set of performance heads for a reasonable cost?
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

What was the issue with the 110 heads that requires a recall?

Not to change gears as I am still looking for any more info on differences between heads.

Thanks
Member since 2004

hightop

The valve guides were coming loose in the heads, not enough interference fit on some. Another problem, which didn't require replacement was that the ACR's were sticking in the closed position, so a set on ebay would possibly require them to be replaced with the updated version, if ACR's were desired. I've reworked a few of these recalled heads for big motors, and just install mechanical releases in them.

FLRTI, they could be a good choice for an inexpensive head after some work for a big motor, they have huge intake ports and wouldn't be suitable for a smaller engine, IMO, except maybe a bar-hopper.

hotroadking

what about valve springs on the 06 to 09 heads
what "bolt in" lift can you go to without having to
change springs...

I see 530 now on woods site...

anyone go higher?

mayor

Quote from: hotroadking on January 14, 2010, 09:03:51 AM
what about valve springs on the 06 to 09 heads
what "bolt in" lift can you go to without having to
change springs...

I see 530 now on woods site...

anyone go higher?

I'm running .555" with stock bee-hives (12k miles with no issues).  I know that several other members have gone as high as .579", but long term affects haven't been verified yet. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Don D

Better be careful Mayor I read on another forum you will beat the seats up when using stock springs, oh that was in the context of Woods cams, opps, not those. And we know everything on the internet is right...
JK

JK

<a href="http://www.zippersperformance.com/downloads/pdf/Throttle%20Body%20Harness%20Conversion%20Info.pdf"><b>HERE</b></a> is some fitment info you may find useful.

mayor

Quote from: Deweysheads on January 14, 2010, 11:19:05 AM
Better be careful Mayor I read on another forum you will beat the seats up when using stock springs, oh that was in the context of Woods cams, opps, not those. And we know everything on the internet is right...
JK

thanks Don.  I keep a small can of fix-a-seat in the saddle bag just in case a an emergency road side repair is needed.   :teeth:  generally that can is right beside my roll of crank repair tape.   :wink:

:teeth:

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

One more thing,

What is the casting number for 06, 07, 08,

Thanks...
Member since 2004

mayor

jdhd

:potstir:
  Don't know why some of you are still using the old method for valve set and crank repair.  JB Veld now has a fuel additive, used with outdated tuner CD'S the additive can be sent to problem areas in the motor. No R&R required.
                                                               JDHD

fxrp

Quote from: hightop on January 14, 2010, 04:48:26 AM

FLRTI, they could be a good choice for an inexpensive head after some work for a big motor, they have huge intake ports and wouldn't be suitable for a smaller engine, IMO, except maybe a bar-hopper.

Ditto

I think the intake is too big for HD's 110 inch. And the head work better be fairly minor because if you're going to do major reshaping (with that ACR) you'll probably want to weld it up and start over. Better to start with a stock head IMO.

Paul