April 27, 2024, 05:11:25 PM

News:

s&S SUPER E JETTING HELP

Started by blisterbut, November 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blisterbut

the bike is a 1978 74 inch flh with true duels and a sifton 440 cam and solid lifters, any one have a good starting point on the jetting thanks, blister  :horse:

76shuvlinoff

I'd go with .028  and a 70. Read your plugs and go from there.   It's been a long time but pretty good instructions used to be on the S&S site.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

Be sure that you shut your accelerator pump off before you attempt to tune. Having it on will give you false readings. As Mark stated, instructions are on the S&S website. Another thing that I recall is that the older E's had a fixed air bleed orifice while the newer ones have an adjustable air bleed which makes tuning easier. Lastly, and I don't mean to bum you out with this, it has been mentioned on this site (or the old MSN version) that the E is really a bit too big a carb for a 74" motor. Maybe others can chime in on their experience. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

randallwhitman

I don't agree with Bill (sorry) about your 74" and the "E".  The "G" is way too big, but the E should be fine.  Guys use them on sportys that size.   Randy   :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

billbuilds

On the E being a bit too  big for 74" big twins: Just saying that it was something I recall a member mentioning on the old MSN board a while ago. My experience with E's is limited so I can't really say. Thanks for clarifying that Randallwhitman.  :up:
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

blisterbut

thanks for the replys i took the carb off today and found the o rings that seal the manifold to the heads were cracked. i think this was at least part of the reason the bike was hard starting.blister

Hillside Motorcycle

December 01, 2008, 01:13:11 PM #6 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:15:12 PM by Hillsidecyclecom
With that cam in a OE compression(?) engine, I'd almost bet the signal is down in the lower rpm band, and would require a larger intermediate jet. .031/.072 would be a good starting point.
That E was designed to work great on that engine. It does.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

blisterbut

hillside  this makes sense because the bike seems lean now, ill have to run to the shop for more jets

76shuvlinoff

your air leak could be a big part of the lean running you have now.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 01, 2008, 05:11:49 PM

your air leak could be a big part of the lean running you have now.
We installed those 440's back in the day by the truckload, along with the 468S's.
They NEED squeeze, but without, they suffer on the bottom. They need a larger jet to allow needed fuel as it does not start pulling on the carb until later in the rpm band.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway