May 01, 2024, 11:50:07 PM

News:

1988 fxrs

Started by aal, November 29, 2008, 07:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

I've had twin cams in the past, but am thinking about getting an evo.  I've seen a 1988 fxrs that looks nice.  I don't know much about those, except the fxr's are by reputation some of the best riding bikes HD has made. I think the motor is stock, with about 25 thousand miles.  Any particular information or advice about the bike?  Thanks much. 

baldoldfxr

FXR's are brilliant bikes(I am biased as Iv'e got one), very good handling & the rubber mounts work well ,
pre 1990 bikes are slightly different to later ones -different clutch/starter motor assy being the biggest thing, the early clutch can struggle if not in good condition or if much engine work is done, the starter motor is similar to shovelhead one's.
there are also some engine IE oiling differences over the years .
In my opinion they are all good mine is an early evo which I think is the best HD Ive ever owned I would say go for it.
There are quite a few threads about them on here,

ClassicRider2002

November 29, 2008, 11:02:42 PM #2 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:05:35 PM by ClassicRider2002
I've had twin cams in the past, but am thinking about getting an evo.  I've seen a 1988 fxrs that looks nice.  I don't know much about those, except the fxr's are by reputation some of the best riding bikes HD has made. I think the motor is stock, with about 25 thousand miles.  Any particular information or advice about the bike?  Thanks much.  

First of all aal, congratulations on picking out a FXR Model as a choice for your next bike.....you have selected a great plateform....as for the 1988 FXRS as to whether or not it should be the choice for you depends on several things....

1) what sort of budget are you working from in order to purchase your new "FXR" plateformed bike?
2) what sort of budget are you working from to make modifications or upgrades to the "FXR" plateformed bike you will end up purchasings?
3) what set of skills do you have to work on your bike?
4) what is the purpose of purchasing an FXR Plateformed bike, ie: for bar hopping? or for perhaps touring? or for ____________?

Your question is similar to any purchaser of a Porsche 911, when asking that question many will say purchase the newest version of a Porsche 911 that your bank account will tolerate.  <~~~pretty typical advice actually.  Thus.......my suggestion would be to consider your budget and purchase the latest or newest FXR your bank account will tolerate.....Even with saying this most will have an "affinity" for a particular year, if there is a reason you are isolating on a 1988 then so be it.....if not....I will send you a link to this "THREAD" that I am slowly compiling which over the next few weeks should be more exhaustive than it already is.....The purpose of the "THREAD" is to provide a "glossary" of sorts from topics specifically relating to the FXR Plateformed bikes of which people can draw information and reach conclusions with.....if you take your time with this link perhaps you will reach some proper conclusions for yourself given that you can draw from learning about the "FXR HISTORY" as well as drawing from some excellent discussions on the evolutionary growth of the "EVO" engine which in part relates to certain models of the FXR Plateformed bikes.....

Here is the "LINK" Simply, place your cursor over the "http:// link / address" below, CLICK, VIEW & READ from the menu of TOPICS from which you may further research at your pleasure:

FXR RELATED TOPICAL DISCUSSIONS
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1619.0

Suffice it to say.....there are a lot of advantages of selecting a 1993 Model, 1994 Model, 1999 FXR2, 1999 FXR3 or 2000 FXR4 but once again it depends on one's budget and motivation of ownership......Regardless of my opinions of "what" year, the bottom line is your selecting a FANTASTIC PLATEFORM in any FXR Model you choose......Keep us informed on your progress via either questions or with whatever choice you make......enjoy the research it's always a part of the journey.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

hotham

I have owned nothing but FXR's since 1982.  The early Evo clutch was a pain on anything except a stock motor.  The 91 and up were the best from the factory.  You will really enjoy your FXR.  Nothing before or since handles as well,  in my opinion.

Hillside Motorcycle

For starters, the MOCO issued a bulletin in regards the lifters, to inspect, and/or replace, at 25,000 on the clock.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"