April 28, 2024, 02:02:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dipstick popping out

Started by Gonzo, November 29, 2008, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

My buddy has a 1990 flhtcu, with an S&S 96 inch we installed about 4 years ago. Seems like now all of a sudden when he goes on a long ride, his dipstick will pop out. I know I've seen this thread on here before, but cant remember what the problem was. Anybody got any ideas. I told him my first thought was either the pressure relief valve on the oil pump was sticking, or a plug in one of the oil lines or passageways. Any help?
Gonzo

Gonzo

I think I also heard it could be from putting a TC-88 oil filter on an Evo, but I wasnt sure if I was remembering right......

HDdude5

If the dipstick has O Rings on it, replace them. If it is the other style, the rubber is probably just giving it up after all these years. I'd try the above before I do any sort of surgery.
Bill

hotham

I put an after market dip stick in mine and found out later,  that the end of the stick was bottoming out.  This was not unusual.  This can cause your problem.

Scooter1-2putt

On my 98' FLSTC the dipstick popped out a couple of times after a oil change. I sucked out about 1/4 to 1/3 qt. of oil and haven't had it pop out again.

Scooter
Z

bobrk1

according to the HD catalog I looked at the better than stock filter fits both, check that the breather is not blocked, is the dipstick loose?

mldmkr

'99 FLSTC evo. Dealer convinced me to use the TC filter when I first bought the bike. Plug would pop out occasionally. Three years later and  after 3 sets of rocker gaskets I stopped using it. Haven't had a problem blowing the dipstick except for one time (overfilled). To insure good grip of the rubber with the neck of the tank, after checking oil I wipe dry the neck along with the rubber of the dipstick...seems to work. Ride safe.....Fred.

taddpole76

I have an aftermarket dipstick, the type with the temp gauge, on my '91 softail. several ears ago....maybe 5.....or 8 years.....10?....., the dipstick would pop out when I would first start the engine. I fixed the problem by buying a thin O-ring at a local hardware store, maybe 1/32" cross section diameter, and installed it on the rubber plug, in between the two raised sealing portions of the plug. Works great. Still have it on the bike now.

Before I put the O-ring on, I installed the original stock dipstick, I didn't have a problem with it popping out. My conclusion is that the aftermarket dipstick did not have as tight of a ftting tolerance, or the rubber wore out some or compressed.

EagleFTE

We see these posts from time to time and I always wonder how often this is caused by too restrictive of a oil filter or over servicing.  Evos don't like a restrictive filter and some of the good car filters as well as the 5 micron HD filter have been known to cause problems.

harleytoprock

If the oil tank is overfilled, the dipstick can pop out.

Hillside Motorcycle

They just get worn after a period of time, and need to be replaced.
I'd start there.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"