April 30, 2024, 05:24:46 AM

News:

Tire life in Colorado

Started by Dennis The Menace, November 29, 2008, 12:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

Okay, first set of Avons and looked at the rear tire after my turkey day ride and noticed reaer is down to the wear bar, barely.  About 6,500 miles on the set, which I put on in March.  Mileage is no different from previous Dunnies on previous RG, Ultra and Fatboy.

So, at least its consistent....I can only expect about 6-7K per rear.  Anyone in Colorado getting better wear out of your rear tire?  I am convinced our rough croncrete is harder on tires here than other parts of the US.

Worst part tho, is I wont get in 10K miles this year...bummer.

Menace

MtnRider2

Only ever run one Avon on the rear (150)s and only got 3600 on it. Those miles were Utah, Colorado(mostly) Wyoming and Pennsylvania. Loved the way it stuck to the road but that soft robber was also its short life. Was also on a FLSTF.

sandrooney

Dunlop E 3's 14,000 , never got over 8500 on 402's. I live in Cotopaxi, Co.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

skunk

I live on the north side of Denver and the last Avon I removed from the bagger had 7500 on it (mostly Colorado miles with a 2up trip to Salt Lake City to see the daughter), still had 4/32 left. I think it might have made another 1000-1500 but was taking a trip and didn't want to chance it. New tire is shy of 3000 miles( all Colorado) and is down to 7/32 ( new is about 10 1/2) both were the 140/16 venom. I keep the pressure right around the 50 mark, used to keep the mt90's at 48-50 also. I think I get a little better life out of the 140. I do like the way the Avon's stick, wet or dry.

skunk

Sandrooney,
      Tell me your thoughts on the E3's, other than tire life, how do you like them in wet weather, corners, ect. Anything you don't like about them?

calif phil

I agree with the roads having a lot to do with tire wear. In Kansas I have run Avon, D402's and Metzeler all with the correct tire pressures and I can only manage 6500 miles out of each rear tire.  The Avon handled the best but now I am sticking with the Dunlops because they are made in USA.

RVN73

I went with the E-3's and got 8,100 on the rear and thought I did good. That's in Arkansas

low_rider1979

same state and same results as Calif Phil, 6500 - maybe 7K on the bagger rear tire, I have 17K on the front orginal tire.  I will need a new one next spring.
wife gets maybe 9k on her dyna.  We run the Dunnies
HTT member since 2002

Danny D

I have an '07 Fatboy with a 200 on the rear. The original factory tire I got 6,500 and the replacement tire I got only 3,500 on it. I am a little suspicious of the guy I had replace the factory tire. I didn't notice the little rubber nipples on that tire. (Used?) The latest replacement did though.

I never did check the air pressure until lately. Now I check them every week. That is supposed to affect mileage also.
Danny D

petsur

05 RG (95") here with about 19k on the odometer.  I (160 lbs) tend to ride it pretty hard and am on the second rear tire (Metzler) with plenty of tread left.  The front is original and needs replacement bad. 

Pete

Old Crow

Quote from: skunk on December 01, 2008, 05:17:56 AM
Sandrooney,
      Tell me your thoughts on the E3's, other than tire life, how do you like them in wet weather, corners, ect. Anything you don't like about them?

Not SR, nor do I play him on the 'net, but I've been running E-3's for about 4 or 5 years, ever since SWMotoTire couldn't get 491's any more.
I live in N. Arkansas and I average around 12k on a back tire, and maybe 20k on a front.  Bike is an '82 TourGlide.  My wife has 'em on her '85 FXEF, and she gets probably 1/2 again the wear that I do on the bagger.
They handle the curves around here way better than the 491's and I've never had a problem in the rain either.  More importantly, my wife has never bitched about the way they handle...in the rain and otherwise, and she absolutely hated the 491's in the rain.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

sandrooney

Skunk,
They handle great, smooth, no wobble on grooved pavement or tar snakes, I am not a real agressive rider but they seem great in the canyon curves.
I will never use anything thing else.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Dennis The Menace

Skunk, I run 46 rear, 44 front.  I think I should run more like what you run.  Rear has a definite flat wear pattern, indicating maybe too low of pressure.  I check it religiously, and its never run below 46 rear, but it must not be enough.  I can see getting 7500-8k from the rear before it really needing a changeout.

I will run one more Avon on back after this one, and then consider the E3 on both front rear changeout.  I dont expect to get any better mileage on the E3, but would like to keep the money in USA for our own workers if possible.  Especially if the E3 is a comparable tire to the Avon Venom, which is a great tire

menace