May 02, 2024, 12:20:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ironhead swingarms

Started by ricochet, January 25, 2010, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

What year or type swingarms are compatible for mounting to the 73 frame?  Regardless of brakes, brackets, or round or rectangular stock.  Interested in what'll mount at the frame = same mounting?

Thanks,

Ricochet

Lew

I really don't know for sure but from what I can gather through looking at some parts catalogs, looks like -73 and earlier will fit up to the frame.

Lew     
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Pynzo

A '67 to '74 XLH is what you need. '58 to '70? XLCH swingarms, and '52 to '66 K and XL swingarms are 1" shorter than the electric start XLH. '75 to '78 XLH and XLCH have a tab for the brake cable setup, but you can grind it off.

heavyhitter

the HD parts manual says:
#47504-56b fits 67-72 xlh and 70-72 xlch
#47504-67a fits 67-69 xlch
#47504-75 fits 67-74 xlh and 70-74 xlch
#47504-76 fits 75-76 xl and xlch

happy hunting

ricochet

Turns out I have 2.  Both of which are #47610-52.  One came with a 72 frame and the other with a 73.  So what I've read hear is that these 2 are an inch shorter than they should be?????

ricochet

Pynzo

Measure the length of the tubes between the axle plate and front casting, I'll check it against my '57. Where did you get the part # from? If it was on a casting, the # is for the casting only, not the swingarm assembly.
You can use the shorter swingarm too, just get the corresponding brake rod and chainguard. It'll shorten the wheelbase slightly, and you'll need lowered shocks. I'm not sure, but I think aftermarket Sporty shocks are 14.5", you'ld need to find 14".

ricochet

That could be the casting number since it was on the inside of one of the axle mounting castings for each swingarm.  I'll check the length you mentioned.  I'm going to mock up using what I got and figure the needed shock length from there.  Should be the 14.5 long ones but we'll see once I have a it sitting as I would like with the wheels I end up with whatever they are.  I'm wanting 18" in the rear versus a 16 that seems to be more readily available.  Another thing I noticed is the shock mount stud/bolt on the swingarm is 1/2 where the ones on the frame are 5/8.  Is this installed length about where it sits once loaded or do I have to factor in some XXX amount of sag?

ricochet

Pynzo

There's gonna be some sag depending on how heavy you are. OEM shocks are better than repops, I've seen VTwin shocks without preload adjustment so shop wisely.

ricochet

So is the rear axle on older ironheads actually 5/8 dia?  Looking at the adjusters they're only slightly larger than 5/8 ID.  When did they switch to 3/4 or did they?

ricochet