April 30, 2024, 02:17:15 AM

News:

Evel Knevil

Started by RKC03, November 29, 2008, 03:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

A special on Evel Knevil was shown on the History Channel, he's dead now, but his son took over where he left off, no where near as good as his dad, you actually don't see many daredevils jumping as much as we did as Evel---but I guess it's because he started the craze...I know many of you remember his Snake River attempt....just wondered if anyone actually saw any of his jumps in person? I saw many on t.v., but never in person. He really screwed up when he took the baseball bat to the writer that mad him mad because of some lies he wrote about him...do you remember?         
                                                                                                                               RKC03
RKC03

crazy joe

Yes I remember   I bet there's a lot of celebrities that wish they could do that.

82fxrstroker

QuoteA special on Evel Knevil was shown on the History Channel, he's dead now, but his son took over where he left off, no where near as good as his dad, you actually don't see many daredevils jumping as much as we did as Evel---but I guess it's because he started the craze...I know many of you remember his Snake River attempt....just wondered if anyone actually saw any of his jumps in person? I saw many on t.v., but never in person. He really screwed up when he took the baseball bat to the writer that mad him mad because of some lies he wrote about him...do you remember?        
                                                                                                                              RKC03

Nowhere near as good?  He was not only smarter but better than Dad.  Yea EK was my hero growing up but I used to ride with Robbie in the desert and anyone that wheelies around corners faster than I  can steer has got my vote.  So....... yea

Sonny S.

You can't compare ANY of today's riders to Evel. Look at what he was riding. A Sportster !!!
The bikes guys use today are built to do what they do. We can't even imagine what Evel would have done if he was on one of today's MotoCross bikes.
It's like comparing the dragsters of yesterday to the ones of today. New technology brings new possibilities.

82fxrstroker

Sonny,  Do some research. 

Sonny S.

don't feel like it.......just tell me

82fxrstroker

Sonny S.

no, and you can't make me  LMAO !!!

Seriously man, I don't claim to know it all, educate me.

82fxrstroker

Don't think for a second Robbie wouldn't want to better Dad's score......in it's blood  LOL.

82fxrstroker

Sonny S.

November 29, 2008, 05:41:07 PM #10 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:47:23 PM by Sonny S.
Quote from: 82fxrstroker on November 29, 2008, 05:02:46 PM
  Sonny,  Do some research. 

Ok, well, I did some research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Knievel

Bikes:

Robbie Knievel's jumping career is markedly different from his father's, in that Robbie used high-performance Honda CR-500 motocross bikes that have been designed for jumping up until 2008. Evel Knievel used Harley-Davidson motorcycles which were significantly heavier and less agile, and which were really intended for track racing.
Robbie will attempt a record jump at Wembley Stadium in London England spring 2009. In an effort to silence the critics, Robbie will use the same XR-750 Harley Davidson that his father used, only Robbie will attempt to clear a record-breaking 16 buses, not 13 (the current record jumping a XR-750 is 15 buses,held by Bubba Blackwell).
COOL !! 

tireater

Metsger back flipped the fountains at Ceasars Palace...Apples and oranges...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

calgary56

Why the hell would Robbie care what a frikkin critic had to say. Has a f_ckin critic ever thrown a leg over a bike and jumped a bus, let alone a fleet of the damned things. There's a good reason Evel broke so moany bones throughout his career, Harley's have NO significant suspension travel.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Scurvy

it's the landing. stupid gravity.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

RKC03

Gentlemen, I have seen Bubba Blackwell a couple times....not breaking any records, but doing some cool stuff...any of you seen these/those guys perorm?   RKC03
RKC03

FSG

QuoteHarley's have NO significant suspension travel.

or aerodynamics  :teeth:

03deuce

I never saw any of his jumps in person, but watched his jump at Caesars Palace on ABC's Wild World of Sports.  I'm still amazed he lived through that crash.  As I recall, he went over the handlebars, on impact with the landing ramp, and landed on his back, looked like a rag doll.  Many years later on a visit to Las Vegas, I saw the fountain and landing zone, or should I say, lack there of.  If he would have made the landing, I'm not sure he would have had enough room to get stopped. 

les

I had the pleasure of seeing him jump a bunch of semi-trucks at the Cleveland Convention Center.  He surly was a real showman.  After decades I still think I'm holding my breath from seeing him jump praying he'll make it.

someday69

Well I can only hope Robie has it well worked out in 09...I'll bet he's one kewl person.....

PoorUB

Hell, anyone can jump 15 buses with an XR750. Try it on a bagger! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

odotb

I am pretty sure that Bubba Blackwell is the only current "Daredevil" jumping with the XR 750. All the rest have gone to the light weight motorcross style bikes. I have also seen Bubba a few times, and he puts on a really good show.

08blackstreetglide

I couldn't wait to see Evel's next jump on t.v.  I was around 13 or 14 years old, pedaling my 20 inch stingray around town. Wanting to be just like him!! I'm sure alot  of your other guys around that age were doing the same thing!

1JITSU1

Was a real showman and my hero

Skullfork

Regardless of what Evel rode or attempted to jump, it was the crashes that made him famous ...

When I was a kid back in the 70's, I'd wear a cape my mom made me that looked like Evel's, and I'd make ramps to jump just about anything my imagination could come up with on my Red White and Blue Evel Knevel Huffy, including my two little brothers laying on the ground which didn't always work out the way I planned it...

Robbie might actually be a pretty good guy I don't know, but my opinion from watching him on TV is he's an arrogant a**hole ...

Memnar

December 02, 2008, 11:00:42 AM #24 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:12:48 AM by Memnar
Evel is still so cool.  I'm getting my 3 year old son an Evel Knevil stunt cycle for Christmas, the same ones we had as kids in the 70's.  They are still selling them.

I always thought a good motorcycle jump was when the Evel doll crashed real hard and his arm or leg was bent wrong  - and his helmet flew off. My son is gonna love it!
Albuquerque, NM.

RKC03

I was thinking that of all the people associated with motorcycling, anyone with any age on them would have to know Evel Knevil....anybody know of anyone that embodies motorcycling as he did?  Who today would be known to most all in the motorcycling world? Peter Fonda? Bubba Blackwell? Jay Leno with his collection (jet-powered m/c included).   I would probably have to say my guess would be Willie G.   any objections?
                                                        RKC03
RKC03

Sonny S.

OneShot

I loved it when Evel wiped out!!!   Here's why....
I grew up in NW Montana, I was about 5 or 6 when my dad took me to our family in Butte for a while, my uncle was a damn fine mason that did work on Evels property.  Evel came to my uncles house, I still remember how awestruck I was of this guy, then my uncle was screaming at him wanting his money or just going to give him an ass whoopin ( he grew up in Walkersvillle as a kid in Butte, tough Butte ghetto) anyway here I was just wanting an autograph or just say hi, shake his hand whatever, He turned looked at me and told me to "scram kid" well ever since then I would just hope and pray for one more broke bone!!
He is sure was a tough sob though!!
My uncle got the money.