April 28, 2024, 02:20:12 AM

News:

BELT DRIVE QUESTIONS

Started by 53Pan66shovel, November 29, 2008, 04:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

i think im gonna switch to a primary belt drive i have some ?s im gonna run an 11mm belt how does that breather get plugged up im conserned if i do that that blow by pressure is gonna cause internal damage thinking about getting the S&S Super E is that a good carb for this bike and im thinking of returning to the old style oil pump im still getting oil leaking out of everywhere the pump is just way to much for that motor thanks 53PAN

Hal64hd

I cut my breather elbow and attached a hose ran it behind the primary to the rear with a filter on it

53Pan66shovel

CraigArizona85248

As far as the carb is concerned, go with the Keihin CV40.  A lot cheaper then the Super E and as good or better.

You definitely can not block off your breather tube.  You will be blowing oil out every imaginable place within 5 minutes of starting the bike.  I didn't want to cut my breather tube so I just hooked up a piece of tubing to it and re-routed it back between the engine and transmission.  I turned off the chain oiler at the oil pump but you will still get a little bit of oil mist from the breather.

53Pan66shovel

ok craig thanks alot i found the belt drive for $250 and ill look around for that carb any good sites to start

CraigArizona85248

I have bought all my CV40 from eBay.  I never bid more the $50 and I never bid on a carb that advertises "jet kit installed" or "modified for performance".  I look for the stock unmolested take-off carbs.  CV40 is easy to find because it's the carb H-D used on all bikes from about 1989 until 2006.  I wouldn't pay the new price for a CV40.

-Craig

53Pan66shovel

ok well i just pulled my primary apart seems like the 3 finger clutch hub is bent that might explain why my chain is super tight than real loose so i went on ebay gonna order a belt drive new carb clutch plates the whole nine yards is there anything i need to order with the belt drive? thats what im looking at i have the taperd  spline

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-54-KNUCKLEHEAD-PANHEAD-BDL-11MM-1-5-OPEN-BELT-DRIVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35577QQihZ024QQitemZ370120624118QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

CraigArizona85248

November 30, 2008, 11:30:42 AM #7 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:35:43 AM by CraigArizona85248
The belt drive they have pictured is does not match their description.  It is not for 36-54 Big Twin.  The motor sprocket is splined and will not fit on a '54 and earlier panhead with a tapered motor shaft.  You said you have the "tapered spline"... that confuses me.  You have one or the other.  You either have a tapered motor shaft for a splined motor shaft.  Also, the clutch hub in the photo has an electric start gear on it.  This will not fit inside the tin primary and is made for a 65 and later 4-speed with electric start.  Maybe they just put the wrong picture in the ad.

EDIT:  I just checked the BDL part number they listed in the eBay ad.  That is the correct part number for a kick-only, tapered shaft belt drive for 1936-1954 big twins.  They just have the wrong photo with the ad.

I'm also curious about why you think your clutch hub is bent.  I've never seen a clutch hub that was bent causing a tight spot in the primary.  Are you sure your mainshaft is not bent?  Maybe you should check that while you have everything off the mainshaft.

-Craig

53Pan66shovel

well im gonna order the belt drive thorught this guy i order my parts from locally but i put the hub on the ground so it was flat and it didnt sit level i guess when i took it off with a gear puller i bent it it was frozen on there so i might have messed it up i guess i just wanna do everything right the first time the shaft comming out the motor is small at the end and gets bigger towards the motor i dont know if it taperred or what but exactly what do i need since u have sucessfully done this already i kinda need a parts list since your the man ha thanks for all the help craig

CraigArizona85248

I don't have a photo of a splined shaft, but here is a picture of a tapered shaft.  It is smooth and has a key to hold the sprocket.  The splined shaft lookes very different and has no key.

-Craig

53Pan66shovel

53Pan66shovel

craig what size belt should i run to keep it a closed primary like yours

CraigArizona85248

The 1-1/2" wide belts should fit under the primary cover.  I also space my primary cover out away from the inner tin to provide a little ventilation.  You don't want your belt getting overheated.  If you look at the photo showing my tapered shaft above, you can see there are a couple of spacers on the front attachment points for the cover.  I use the same spacers on all the attachment points (just hadn't slipped them all on yet when I snapped that photo).

-Craig

53Pan66shovel

ya i see what your talking about i need new primary bolts any way so ill just get some longer ones with spacers thanks craig il keep ya updated with my findings also how could i tell if the main shaft was bent on the tranny

CraigArizona85248

Get a dial indicator with a magnetic base.  Attach the base securly to the inner primary tin.  Set the indicator near the end of the trainmission main shaft (not on the threaded part).  Zero the dial indicator and then turn the shaft.  The dial indicator will tell you if the shaft is bent.

-Craig