April 30, 2024, 08:46:18 AM

News:

Extended warranty?

Started by 86fxwg, November 29, 2008, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

I have an extended warranty till 06/13.Will i void my warranty by installling tg 26 cams,se push rods & lifters myself?

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

tireless

Yep, read the warranty.... it likely says it's void with engine mods

truck

It might void the motor warranty but I had a swing arm replaced a few days before the 7 year warranty ran out and I had the same mods. except for the SE lifters.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Wingnut

Just wondering.  What does an extended warranty cost?  For how long?
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

truck

I bought my Ultra in 2000 and it is a 2001 model and I think (CRS you know) it cost $1,200.00 to extend the warranty to seven years.
In my case it was a very good deal because of all the work that was done and parts that were replaced.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Justmac

Quote from: Wingnut on November 30, 2008, 06:15:21 AM
Just wondering.  What does an extended warranty cost?  For how long?

I think it's up to $1800 now but you can call your dealer. I wasn't interested extending a pretty much useless warrenty
I figure I'll know with in the first 35-40k miles if the bikes going to need a lot of repairs or if it's only going to need service.  Service work ain't covered.

JohnnyM

Dealerships really push to sell warranties because they are high profit items.  If you pay $1,800 the dealer keeps almost half of that plus all the interest if you finance through Harley-Davidson credit.  What's more a 5 year extended warranty often means 5 years of warranty period because it replaces the 2 iyear factory warranty.  And don't think the factory warranty is free.  It isn't.  HD warranties the bike because they couldn't sell a bike without one,  it's not because they like you.  The cost is factored into the MSRP.  If they would lower the MSRP by $1,800.00 and give me a 90 day warranty I would give it a hard look.

86fxwg

If mine hadn't come with the bike when i bought it used, i would not have bought one.But what the hell it was free.I know nothings free. IBought the bike on consinment just transferd it he forgot he had it.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Snorth

for the 7 yr extended warranty I paid $1800 in June of 2006 for my ultra classic.  I haven't had to use it yet but I'm at 55000 miles in about 30 months of riding so I'll prolly get my $1800 back before the 7 yrs are up  :pop:

Coff 06

Mine cost $1500 in 6/06,ride about 12-15k yr,haven't had any claims yet,I figured it was cheep insurance,if you have it you won't need it kind of thing.          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Skullfork

Someone was telling me awhile back that if you buy the extended warranty, but never have to use it by the time the warranty's up that you'll get a refund ...any truth to that??  It would be a no-brainer to buy if it's true, but I have my doubts that it is ...

Coff 06

I think that would have to be a FIRST!               Coff 06

redrokit8

IMO, the extended warranty is a great thing for the high mileage, long term ownership of the bike. If you trade every three to four years and don't hammer on the miles, you might be ok without it. However, I just sold a 2008 Ultra that I had the warranty on and was able to command a higher price due to the seven year from new coverage. It made sense for me to include the warranty and buy a new one for an 09.
Yes H/D and the dealer make money on the deal initially. But over a period of seven years with 10K miles ridden per year, I feel I can't miss. Under these cicumstances it pays. Under low useage & short term ownership, it might not pay. You're gambling that your bet ( premium ) will cover your investment and then some.

Note:
If you sell or purchase a bike with the H/D extended Warranty, make real sure you contact the H/D Warranty Administration Dept in Arizona and have them fax the proper transfer forms to you. They will want proof that the bike was serviced as per factory specs. Make sure you get those reciepts and keep your copies for possible future reference.
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

texaskatfish

We purchased the 5 year extended warranty on this 2001 FLHR - at that time YES it was advertised to be a $1000 refund if never used..............but use it we surely did!

2 new drive belts
2 new stator rotors & batteries
2 new 'King Tour Paks' (they cracked at the front hinges - as I cram a LOT of stuff in there)
1 new primary adjuster 'shoe'
and a brand new top & bottom end engine when cam chain tensioner pads went south at 54000 miles

I'd say we safely re-couped our $1000 and a LOT more!

This bike was modified to a 95 incher from break in and we never heard a single word about warranty being voided.....................not a word...................although I bet this depends greatly on the dealer involved................
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Danny D

My HD dealer told me if I buy and have the cams installed by them HD, they wouls cover me if problems occur while in the warranty period.
Danny D

HDRDR

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on November 30, 2008, 08:56:30 PM
Someone was telling me awhile back that if you buy the extended warranty, but never have to use it by the time the warranty's up that you'll get a refund ...any truth to that??  It would be a no-brainer to buy if it's true, but I have my doubts that it is ...

Thats true, if there is (never a claim filed) you get part of it back and its a good part....all you have to do it ask!

Coff 06

02roadcling

Probably but why worry or wait? If you have the ability to do the job go ahead and do all the things you want to. Also ask for a refund. I did and got it.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington