April 30, 2024, 02:12:34 AM

News:

getting remaining oil out at oil change

Started by guitar sam, November 30, 2008, 12:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar sam

remember someone saying how to remove the last bit of used oil out of the engine (softtail).  said you needed to remove the return line (the one closest to the oil tank) put a tube on it, drain the oil and replace filter.  put one qt of new oil in the oil tank.  start engine till returning oil was clear. shut off and fill oil tank up.  is this correct?

gs

FSG

Yes thats basically it, the return line is the right most one, the one closest to the oil tank fill spout. 

sportsterleroy

November 30, 2008, 04:49:15 AM #2 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:28:12 AM by Coyote

My buddy has a reasonable priced option to do what you want . There is a tool/device? he built, that is used remove the remaining oil out of your lines.

2 Arm Cycle Works is proud to announce a new product: The Contaminated Oil Removal System (CORS) allows you to remove 99.9% of the old contaminated oil from your American V-Twin motorcycle engine.

Edited by Coyote Site link tests positive for Malware

I have a 2006 Road  glide and have about 40k on it and have used it for about the last 30k when changing oil.

Leroy

scoopfraser

Leroy,

Aren't you basically running your engine without oil pressure using the CORS?  The dirty oil that is being flushed out while the engine is running is one thing, but how is the engine getting any oil since it's going into a drain pan?  This topic has come up a few times and the e-mails that I've sent to 2 arm cycle works go unanswered.  Maybe I am completely dense, but I don't understand how this setup will work on a Twin Cam where the oil gets filtered *before* it goes through the engine. 

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

96flhpi

Sean - oil goes through the engine first, then goes through the filter on it's way back to the tank.  No harm in running it with no filter at all as long as you shut it off in a timely manner.

FWIW, I found the CORS thing to be a waste of $$$, no offense Leroy.

Vin

Mike52

Quote from: guitar sam on November 30, 2008, 12:55:10 AM
remember someone saying how to remove the last bit of used oil out of the engine (softtail).  said you needed to remove the return line (the one closest to the oil tank) put a tube on it, drain the oil and replace filter.  put one qt of new oil in the oil tank.  start engine till returning oil was clear. shut off and fill oil tank up.  is this correct?

You should put more than 1 quart in the oil tank, approximately 1 quart of dirty oil is what will come out before you start to see the clean oil. You should fill the oil tank to the full mark, then top it off after the purging.
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

calgary56

?? But what's the point ?? - do you really think the small amount of oil remaining in an engine when you change the oil is harming anything?

I change my oil, I change my filter, nothing special, just drain and fill, ..... engine has 203,000 Km (126,000 miles) in 3 years 6 months, NO ISSUES at all.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

BCBRAD

My power stroke diesel leaves approx 6 litres of oil behind on every change, a cup of oil in 4 quarts is nothing to be concerned about. The filter deals with particulate the oil change deals with water and acids from combustion.

Faast Ed

Quotea cup of oil in 4 quarts
Softails don't hold a lot of oil, the dilution is higher when you leave the old oil in.   
≡Faast Ed>

DblackmanC

96...It is my understanding that 0n the TC oil is filtered first and then goes into the engine...NOT after??
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Faast Ed

I drain my (Softail) oil tank and put the plug back in. 
I add a qt of new oil, idle the motor while looking into the oil tank with a flashlight.
As soon as the oil coming in from the return line changes color I shut it down and drain again.

Some might consider it "wasting" a quart.  Whatever.
I don't bother if the oil change is early in the interval.
≡Faast Ed>

Ed Y

Quote from: 96flhpi on November 30, 2008, 07:05:48 AM
Sean - oil goes through the engine first, then goes through the filter on it's way back to the tank.  No harm in running it with no filter at all as long as you shut it off in a timely manner.

Vin

Not true on TC's. Oil is filtered before it hits the bottom end and cylinders.

randallwhitman

When I first saw Rogue Choppers' ad, I bought their gizmo for my shovel.  My bike was converted to Evo style filtering.  It screws on to the filter mount.  You'd be amazed at the amount of dirty oil that doesn't get changed with the normal method.  Randy :smiled:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

96flhpi

My bad guys - only experienced with EVOs and Shovels, didn't know TC's were different.  Sorry for any confusion.  I'll add that bit of info to the memory banks.

Vin

scoopfraser

Dan and Ed Y have it right.  So, while the engine is running and pumping out all of the old oil (oil that would normally be running through the filter and back into the engine) where is the engine getting its lubrication from?  The only thing that I can assume based on the fact that the manufacturer of the CORS won't answer this simple technical question is that this product should not be used on a Twin Cam.  Please correct me if I'm wrong...  I apologize for  :horse: but with all of the tech experience here it seems that someone should be able to answer this question.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

HDDOC

No way I could see this being any use at all on a 2007 -08-09
2019 Tri Glide

Rags722

Vin

96, now that we have the edit feature, you may want to go back and correct your post so no one states it as fact at a later date. " I saw it on HTT so it must be true!"

Mike52

Quote from: scoopfraser on November 30, 2008, 08:33:15 AM
Dan and Ed Y have it right.  So, while the engine is running and pumping out all of the old oil (oil that would normally be running through the filter and back into the engine) where is the engine getting its lubrication from?  
Sean
----

Sean, I think the part that you're missing is, you add fresh oil into the oil tank, this is where the engine is getting it's lubrication from. While the engine is idling the fresh oil is pushing the old, dirty oil out followed by clean oil. By removing the oil return line that pumps the oil back into the oil tank, you can purge the old, dirty oil into a container until the clean oil starts coming out the return line. At that point you stop the engine, reconnect the return line, top off the oil tank (which still has a good amount of fresh oil) to the full mark. Screw on a new filter and you're good to go with all of the old oil purged from the engine, oil tank, lines, etc, nothing but fresh, clean oil in the entire system.  While doing this isn't for everyone, neither is adding chrome "Potty mouth" to everything on the bike, to each his own. If you don't like it or think it's a waste, don't do it, simple as that. I don't do it on every oil change, in fact very rarely, but I will do it after a trip to Daytona for example, where the engine gets very hot while stuck in traffic all weekend.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

scoopfraser

November 30, 2008, 11:48:46 AM #18 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:29:41 AM by Coyote
Hi Mike,

I agree with and understand what you've written which is a good explanation of how the Rogue Chopper's scavenger system works.  What I don't get is how the CORS system works.  The link below doesn't mention anything about removing the return oil line.  Supposedly, you just screw on their doodad (with rubber gasket from the old filter) to the oil filter spigot, fill up the oil tank, start the engine and watch the old oil come out.  All of this seems reasonable except that the bottom and top end of the motor isn't getting a supply of oil since no oil is coming back from the filter.   

Edited by Coyote Site link tests positive for Malware

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Twolane

Uhh, has anyone ever had an oil-related engine failure?

Anyone?

* crickets chirp *

Thought so.

fxstdavew

Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

sportsterleroy

Vin

I used to do the 4.5 qt oil change on my sporty. Drain the oil then refill the tank with fresh oil. Next remove filter and start for 10-15 seconds aalowing dirty oil to pump out of lines and out the filter mount holes.  it would drool out and was a small mess whenever I did it.

the cors screws on like a filter would and seal tight and the nipple with the hose attached is put in your oil catch container. Install drain plug fill oil tank with about 3 QTS PLUS of fresh clean oil. I start the bike on the lift and run the engine.
Yes no mess and about 1/2 to 3/4 qt of dirty oil is removed until it runs clear thru the tube. My filter back on and run again and check the level.

I dont know the flow path of the oil system on a Twin Cam but would this not be just like a clogged filter letting the check value open to send oil to protect your oil flow.

The thead started about unscrewing an oil line and running bike, and that has to be messy and possible crosstheading leakage etc.

I cant say it is a waste of 20 bucks due to a lot less mess IMHO but haven't we all spent a lot more on worthless Bs for our bikes. LOL
Leroy

1FastBagger

Quote from: Twolane on November 30, 2008, 01:39:24 PM
Uhh, has anyone ever had an oil-related engine failure?

so you claim there are no engine failures out there related to crap in the oil. examples would be tensioner ceramic and cam shavings...

I have used Phil's tool (Rogue Chopper) and it definately removes all the S. But since I never sprang for the tool, I just take the softail for a long run and then remove the oil as soon as I shut it off. No time for sumping and will empty the bag leaving only a small portion in the lines and case. Not the best solution but better than pulling lines and re-adding oil IMHO

Twolane

those aren't oil-related failures, but if you choose to think so, that's fine by me, but it's not the oil that failed.

randallwhitman

I think someone's getting a little defensive.  The issue really isn't oil related FAILURES, it's engine longevity.  I've owned my big inch shovel for 23 years and definitely do the clean oil change (Redline)......I'll only sell that sucker when I can no longer ride.  My '07 FLHX gets the oil changed regularly and conventionally......probably won't keep it more than five years.  Let's all relax and get along.    :smiled:    Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX