May 04, 2024, 03:37:27 PM

News:

engine ping and race tuner

Started by Ed S, November 30, 2008, 07:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

On my 06 FLHX carb. Last winter did 95" upgrade with 203 cams and flat top pistons. Already had rinehart true duals and air filter. Jetted the carb, raised the needle, weaker spring. Bike runs great, very happy with performance, but pings terribly under almost any load, have to ride it like a 2 stroke. Bought Harley race tuner to modify advance curve but it won't communicate with stock module. Is there a procedure not in the user manual? I've tried 2 different computers and 2 different kits. Been an auto mech. for 30 years, I know what I want to do, and I don't believe any dealer tech is going to want to spend the time to fine tune like I will. Anybody know how to make the harley system work, or should I just go for the Crane?

Admiral Akbar

I've got no experience with the SE ignition. Maybe Ed Ederdelyi can help here . IIRC he used them for a bit.. I'd probably take the DTT over the Crane as I'm more familiar with it.. How do you ride a 2 stroke different? The only difference I see is that the rev faster and don't have much compression braking..Maybe your idle is too high??

What was the quench set at?? The problem started when you added the big bore and cams? Any changes to the heads?

Max

Faast Ed

QuoteHow do you ride a 2 stroke different?

Live in the lower gear/less load environment?
≡Faast Ed>

Trouble

On my 95" flattop piston carb'ed '04RK with SE203 cams, HD perf mufflers and freer-breathing intake, I installed the SE ignition module that retards timing 5* at WOT. You can feel it work when you open the throttle and NO PING like I had with a flattop pistoned '99RK @ 95".
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Ed S

November 30, 2008, 08:21:31 AM #4 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:33:57 AM by Ed S
Did you have the ping at part throttle,IE 2800 rpm, 5'th gear. I was afraid the retard at WOT wasn't going to take care of all of it. Did not get into quench and such. Was supposed to be a simple upgrade with factory parts. Silly me.

ederdelyi

The HD modules with a fixed retard factor also have different curves than the stock module. The SE adjustable and the Race Tuner are actually pretty good units, with the Race Tuner being the more versatile than the earlier adjustable unit.

Communication problems ... If using a laptop or other computer without a "true" serial port that can be a problem. Not all serial ports or converters are created equal. Some laptops and even desktops that have serial ports come with them disabled and one must go into the device manager and enable them. It's been awhile since I messd with the carb Race Tuner. Did they bring out a USB version or do you still need a serial port or serial to USB converter? If you need a converter then it's likely an issue with your particular setup.

Crane, DTT, HQ etc. modules work fine as well, with more folks using the DTT units more help is usually available over the others.

Sonny S.

November 30, 2008, 08:57:28 AM #6 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:04:25 AM by Sonny S.
Could you be more specific about the carb jetting and needle ?    Are you sure it's not a partial " lean " ping ?
A change in needle taper can sometimes help. I've found that the NOKK needle works best with heavy bikes. It goes just a tad richer than the N65C during a loaded roll on, and provides better over all performance than a shimmed stock needle.
I found that the -5 SE module would help with a roll on ping but did make some bikes loose power at WOT. They are an inexpensive fix at times.
Unless you have pining in 4th gear WFO, then you don't need to retard timing at WFO. More than likely you need to pull timing from 2-3K rpm's, @24-28 In-HG
I'm sure the race tuner will do the job when you get it working but IMHO, don't change timing untill AFR is correct...if it's not.
A DTT and custom map works for me.

wytetrash2004

thats not that unusual of a build.  ive done several with that app and have never had the issue.  since it is carbed i would find out what your real afr is.  you shouldnt have to of gotten a ignition tuner either. but since you have it you can gain more by retarding the the map load up to 12 degrees without affecting your performance.   get your afr reading and have it tuned to that and if  its correct fatten up your main jet.

Trouble

The ping problem I had was at partial throttle, usually when the engine was hot and under a load, trying to accelerate.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Mix01FLHT

Had a ping problem with my 01FLHT, finally put the SE adjustable ignition module on it.  Now only pings in 5th gear with cheap gas.  If I use a octane booster, I get no ping at all.
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

Harley_Nel

I have a similar build on an '05 FLHRS and was having pinging problems. I finally got the USB cable for my DTT ignition and was able to fine tune the ping out yet still keep a decent advance curve.
I have a couple of saved curves depending on whether I'll be riding two-up or solo, on a hot day or cool day, etc. It takes about 2 minutes pre-ride to upload it.

Ed S

thanks for all the information. I guess my main dilema now is making the tuner work. The bike doesnt "feel" lean at part throttle. According to the device manager the com port is working. From what I read the tuner is supposed to work with the stock module, is that true? In theory I should be able to tune without buying a module, just need the secret to making it communicate.