April 28, 2024, 05:32:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

roller rocker ? non stock ratio.

Started by bigpete1, November 30, 2008, 07:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpete1

what are pros and cons of using different ratio rockers ?i need to get a set and would buy higher ratio to get more lift if there is a benefit from doing this ,i am running a 106 with a woods 6hg and zippers heads andwoods 50.5 carb and supertrapp ,any help would be appreciated ,thanks pete

Don D

Just a thought. If your heads will go there and the associated gear is set up to accept higher lift, plus assuming you have stock ratio rollers already, why not sell the 6h and get a TW400g? I would expect this change to be cheaper than buying a set of high lift rollers (US Made)

Admiral Akbar

Wouldn't he then need to buy rollers and the cams? I think he's trying to get away from the stock rockers. Max

Don D

I dunno? I was assuming he had rollers and stated that but really don't know. With .590 lift now I would be concerned adding lift would cause some interference some to consider:
coil bind
Retainer to seal collision
piston to valve
If all is clear and the heads will go there John Sachs has stated the Ultima rockers are a good piece. A few of my customers are runnng them with no problems. They have a 1.675 ratio set for $79 from Jirehs.

fuzznut5197

QuoteThey have a 1.675 ratio set for $79 from Jirehs.

Wow, that's super cheap, for something that's not "cheap".

That stupid S&S ACR socket is $75, and it's not even gold plated!  :crook:

bigpete1

i do not have rollers in presently ,bought a set of tp rollers they hit valve collars ,heads are set up for .720 lift so no coil bind issues ,i have seen the ultima roller are very cheap ,thanks pete

PITBULL

Are the ultima rollers any good,i hear people use them with out issues ,but have read on another site that they were garbage. any info?

Hillside Motorcycle

Whatever you do DO NOT go with those Chinese rollers.
They can make more noise than the OEM hammers do.
We prefer S&S or R&R.
I do believe that R&R will sell them so you can stagger intake/exhaust ratios if going that route.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

frito1

Just for a refresher.  What is the stock TC rocker ratio?

"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Quick_2s

What is the purpose of staggering the intake/exhaust ratio's? Never heard of it before.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Hillside Motorcycle

You make the engine respond, as if you changed the cam, without the rate of lifter speed being enhanced.
For example, run more ratio on the intakes only, and leave the OE ratios on the exhaust........
Ancient Chinese engine building secret. :teeth:

Quick_2s

Not to get off topic but I would like to explore this staggering the ratio's thing a little deeper, I can start a new post if that would be better. I'm trying to wrap my head around the actual numeric effects of this and what it does to the compression, duration and such.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

KingofCubes

I like Don's advise about changing the cam, the Woods cam is known to have aggressive ramps and the different ratio rockers amplify the effect. This is why when R&R Cycle was testing the S&S585 cam on the dyno and changing rocker ratios they then redesigned the extra lift into the cam and softened up the rate of change a little.

Hillside Motorcycle

Like Randy said, they do have agressive ramps, which translates to agressive power. That's why we like 'em. :teeth:

PITBULL

Maybe thats why those chinese rocker arms are so noisey cause of the woods cam?

KingofCubes

Exactly, when R&R designed their roller rockers they took a close look at every other rocker out there and found some interesting variables, sloppy ratios, shaft tolerances, and bushings. That is why Reggie spent another 50 grand on a Sunnen automatic diamond honing machine.

Sonny S.

anyone making a 1.675 non roller rocker ?

hogmandon

I called Jirehs about the R&R roller rockers and they have no specs on them , don't know the ratio and have no techs there, does R&R only make the 1.675 ratio and where else can they be gotten. I looked around some of the usual places and nothing  thanx for any help

KingofCubes

I have the R&R's here, they have the 1.625 and the 1.725. Can also be had here www.rrcycles.com

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: PITBULL on December 02, 2008, 11:48:54 AM
Maybe thats why those chinese rocker arms are so noisey cause of the woods cam?
Ever listen to a Ultima engine closely??
When up to temp with those rockers, their cams, it makes you want to adjust the pushrods.
It won't help.
Now, change the rocker arms. Silent.
The roller tips on those Chinese units are LOOSE, which tranlates to NOISE, no matter what cam your intent is.
That is why we like to stay with top quality product, as proper tolerences/methods are adhered to during the manufacturing process.
S&S or R&R. Period.
I have no pony in this, just sound advice, from day in/day out building.
Roll the dice if you want.
Scott :teeth:

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: hogmandon on December 15, 2008, 05:57:08 AM
I called Jirehs about the R&R roller rockers and they have no specs on them , don't know the ratio and have no techs there, does R&R only make the 1.675 ratio and where else can they be gotten. I looked around some of the usual places and nothing  thanx for any help

Jireh????????????????????? Long on sell, short on advice.
That name is a cuss word in this industry, for several reasons.

Flat Dog

No problems with TP rollers, right? aka I hope...