April 28, 2024, 09:12:21 AM

News:

pop, backfire when rolling on throttle

Started by 1960rider, February 01, 2010, 09:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1960rider

I went out for a ride on saturday, everything had been running fine on the pan.  But, all of a sudden, loud pop and lost power.
stuck by the side of the road for an hour or so looking for the problem.  Noticed that when I would fiddle with the wiring at the battery, the ignition
light would flicker come off and on.  Luckily, I was only 3 miles from home, pushed her home and done for the day.
Next day, found the problem.  The main wire from the coil to the battery was broken inside the insulation.  I spliced and put a female to female
joint......fixed!  Went for a ride and the bike runs fine, except when cold and rolling on hard at first or second gear it will pop and miss.
Otherwise runs smooth.  Never did that before the problem except when cold.  Is the female to female splicing causing the problem maybe?  I wonder if I should insulate the splice?  Any advise what to look for?

twincamzz

I would definitely insulate that splice ! Just my .02
not all who wander are lost...

Deye76

1960, If pushed a scoot 3 miles I'd be done for the week. :embarrassed:
Glad you got the problem fixed.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

fourthgear

Quote from: 1960rider on February 01, 2010, 09:36:05 AM
I went out for a ride on saturday, everything had been running fine on the pan.  But, all of a sudden, loud pop and lost power.
stuck by the side of the road for an hour or so looking for the problem.  Noticed that when I would fiddle with the wiring at the battery, the ignition
light would flicker come off and on.  Luckily, I was only 3 miles from home, pushed her home and done for the day.
Next day, found the problem.  The main wire from the coil to the battery was broken inside the insulation.  I spliced and put a female to female
joint......fixed!  Went for a ride and the bike runs fine, except when cold and rolling on hard at first or second gear it will pop and miss.
Otherwise runs smooth.  Never did that before the problem except when cold.  Is the female to female splicing causing the problem maybe?  I wonder if I should insulate the splice?  Any advise what to look for?

Maybe more of the wire is compromised and the complete wire (s) need replacing. Butt splices are OK ,but I only use them temporarily until the wire can be replaced. Hell , a wire nut will work in a pinch.

fourthgear

Quote from: 1960rider on February 01, 2010, 09:36:05 AM
light would flicker come off and on.
  Luckily, I was only 3 miles from home, pushed her home and done for the day.

Ya got the coil wired directly to the Battery ?

twincamzz

fourthgear, I wondered about that too. My coil is wired through the ignition switch.
not all who wander are lost...

Erichill

Scooter,
Apparently you missed the Supreme Court decision in the contoversial case of Wire vs Cloth. It made all the shop memos and factory recalls. Professional techs as well as shade tree mechainics can no longer limit our wire connections to male/female. A solder (union) now must be allowed male to male as well as female to female. Male to female union is only allowed after approval from both the ACLU and subscribers to Poular Mechaincs. In addition, a connection of two wires is hereby considered a marriage, and the term union or splice is no longer acceptable.

Hope this clears things up.

By the way, definetly replace the entire wire. broke in one spot, will definetlely break in another, if not already by the sounds of things.
Eric