May 01, 2024, 06:03:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

One Off Top End

Started by scootertramp, February 01, 2010, 10:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

My son is rebuilding a 65 XLCH with a 1000cc top end. I was told that the cylinder heads/Barrels are one of a kind and were only available in 1972. The frickin' exhaust flange broke off one of the heads and I'd like to find another set of heads for it if possible. The pistons are already 3o over but in good shape so I need to know about the heads. Does anyone know if HD built a one off top end in 1972 or any other year?
Been a tramp for over 40 years...

ricochet

I hope someone else can confirm but what I've seen in looking for late 73 parts is that yes there are specific heads for the 72 to early 73 year 1000 cc ironhead.  I don't think you'll find it too hard to locate one though.  Seen from time to time on e-bay and if you have local harley boneyards they may have as well.  You have to be careful to verify the specifics like firering size in particular.

ricochet

scootertramp

Quote from: ricochet on February 01, 2010, 11:42:42 AM
I hope someone else can confirm but what I've seen in looking for late 73 parts is that yes there are specific heads for the 72 to early 73 year 1000 cc ironhead.  I don't think you'll find it too hard to locate one though.  Seen from time to time on e-bay and if you have local harley boneyards they may have as well.  You have to be careful to verify the specifics like firering size in particular.

ricochet

Thanks. What do you mean by firering size?
Also:  I know for sure that the motor is 1965. It has the VIN marked right next to the timing mark. 19653963! Anyway - I know it has a 1000cc top end and is bored 60 over. I know where the bike came from and it was used as an old drag bike. It has an old S&S side bowl carb. That's some old school drag sh*t right there! Can the barrels be sleeved? I know the guy did a complete motor rebuild and it only has about 2500 miles on it. It's just been sitting since 1992. He's the one who mentioned this weird top end problem. He told me the machine shop mentioned it when they set the heads up for unleaded and did the cylinder bore. I'm just curious about the barrels cause you never know.

ricochet

There may be a lot more going on with your conversion to the 1000 cc top end.  The fire-ring if you still have one is the part of the cylinder that sticks up above the gasket mounting surface.  This ring would extend into the head/chamber.  One of the differences from early, to 72/early73, and to late73and on heads is their inside diameter in the head to accomodate this fire-ring.  It get's larger as the years progress.  But you certainly may have a real one off so all would have to be verified when looking for cylinders.  73 and later cylinders have the threaded head bolt holes where the threads start about 1/2 inch below the head gasket surface.  Earlier are threaded all the way.

ricochet

Pynzo

Old Dude has a set of your heads NOS $500, or $275 each.

http://www.olddude.com/parts.htm

bigpete1

Quote from: scootertramp on February 01, 2010, 10:52:47 AM
My son is rebuilding a 65 XLCH with a 1000cc top end. I was told that the cylinder heads/Barrels are one of a kind and were only available in 1972. The frickin' exhaust flange broke off one of the heads and I'd like to find another set of heads for it if possible. The pistons are already 3o over but in good shape so I need to know about the heads. Does anyone know if HD built a one off top end in 1972 or any other year?
if heads are good except for exhaust spigot take it to a good welder and have  aspigot welded on you will be alot farther ahead if they are truly a 1off piece .pete

scootertramp

ricochet

Just for the heck of it can you measure the ID of the head where the firering goes?

ricochet

saltcaveminer

72 to early73 jugs can be bored out to .040 max.the jugs can be resleeved.Salty

dablaze

I just received a set of these heads from a friend asking me to check if anyone here might want them, fully rebuilt in really nice shape. Guy wanted to see $800 for them but might be open to offers...let me know if you are interested.

I only posted them here in response to your question, I will post them in the swap meet next.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

prodrag1320

we can fix the head,we bore out the broken ex flange and press a new one in,done it many times back in the day

ricochet

Hi Pro...   

Is the insert then welded after being pressed in?  I was wondering about threading in as well.

ricochet

prodrag1320

we bore about .500 in and press and just tack weld it,cast dosnt like welding real good.did alot of them back when,never had one break again(that i know of).we do the same with the pan ex spigots

scootertramp

Thanks gents. We have a guy milling a slot in the head for a new flange then we're gonna tack it in place. That should hold up we hope. Figured it would just break off if we only welded it. Boring the exhaust port for a new flange is a great idea also. Thanks for all the responses!