May 03, 2024, 02:58:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mik 42 or 45 on Hippo build?

Started by Reddog74usa, November 30, 2008, 08:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

ederdelyi

On a "real" Hippo build, most likely the 42 ... but then the CV40 works good too :>)

Reddog74usa

Thanks Ed, My Hippo build is 95 inch SE flat top pistons, 0:30 HG, SE heads, S&S 570G cams, DTT ign, "B" lifters, and Bassani RR. I have all 3 carbs the cv40, mik 42 and mik 45 and was just wondering which one to use.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

86fxwg

Hears the way it went for me!The 42 seemed more reponsive down low,the 45seemed to pull harder up high,All we did was bolt them on out of the box.We went with the 42. It just felt more responsive.Sorry i cant find the dyno file.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

ederdelyi

November 30, 2008, 09:11:44 AM #4 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:15:03 AM by ederdelyi
Ummmm ... it depends :>) If you like the "feel" of a Mikuni carb and are comfortable with the tuning of same, then the 42 should be just fine. The CV40 should work about the same, not the same "feel", and somewhat less adjustability, but also somewhat more "bulletproof" in some ways. Roll the dice or try 'em both!

EDIT: Or all 3. Unless you have an exceptional "Hippo" I have a little difficulty believing that the CV40 or the 42 will be limiting flow at the top ... one never knows for sure until one tries.

bigjon460

not to hijack but just curious on a "real" hippo build which pistons are used and what cr
Bigjon

ederdelyi

Flat top pistons of your choice, right at 10.0:1 with SE heads that have the chambers of the correct size.

dakota224

My Hippo motor runs the CV-40 jetted @ 46 slow jet - 195 main jet, and it runs a tad rich... she never foul`s plugs and runs very good.

Sonny S.

Quote from: dakota224 on November 30, 2008, 12:09:56 PM
My Hippo motor runs the CV-40 jetted @ 46 slow jet - 195 main jet, and it runs a tad rich... she never foul`s plugs and runs very good.

have you had it on the dyno ?
What altitude are you at?

HIPPO

dakota224

Quote from: Sonny S. on November 30, 2008, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: dakota224 on November 30, 2008, 12:09:56 PM

have you had it on the dyno ?
What altitude are you at?
No, and im at 5500 ft

Reddog74usa

Looks like a 42 it is. Thanks Hip, Ed E and all. Starting jets, needle, nozzle?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

HIPPO

I forgot the #'s but the main thing is to go to a much smaller pump jet and a smaller low jet.  3 or 4 years ago (maybe a little longer) they started to ship these with the carb calling it a "mileage kit"
With those and turning the pump adjustment out as much as possible without stumbling on accel they used to be just about perfect. Fine adjustments done with the needle, often the stock needle had to be dropped in quite a bit. There was one leaner needle, and that one worked fine in the middle, but wasn't absolutely necessary most of the time.

Fxstchewy

42 on my Hippo build, works fine.  :up: Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

mayor

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

HIPPO

Quote from: wannabmayor on December 01, 2008, 04:07:24 AM

I'm surprised you didn't include the CV44 list. 

Original?
QuoteI have all 3 carbs the cv40, mik 42 and mik 45 and was just wondering which one to use.

mayor

sorry Hippo, I missed that part.   :embarrassed: 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Reddog74usa

Well I do also have a Woods 43.5  but it's on something else:wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Sonny S.

hey RD,

Did you ever try a CV40 on your RK with the  "  :wink: "  build ?

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

December 09, 2008, 12:57:11 PM #20 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:02:39 PM by Reddog74usa
I have a Woods 43.5 on it now but was looking to try some other options. It runs very well but the milage is not what it should be with the Rebel 43.5
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT