May 04, 2024, 06:13:36 PM

News:

Engine Roughness and Running Lean

Started by JAU Flyer, November 30, 2008, 10:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAU Flyer

Hey All!!

I have an '02 Ultra that was tuned earlier this fall. It has developed a roughness to it that i can feel and it sounds different now. It started all of a sudden after completing one ride, then firing up the bike a week later to ride. my wife even commented that the bike seems to run a little rough. the roughness isn't over bearing, but you can feel it by the seat of the pants, and sounds "flubbery" when in neutral and rev the throttle....it's definitely not smooth for having been tuned.

after riding yesterday...about 130 miles, it only took 3.2 gallons of gas. usually it would be in the 4 to 4.4 range. so one of my questions is: what would, or could casue this roughness and lean condition?? i am thinking the bike is now running leaner than before and hence the roughness. is it possible the map configuration changed (SERT)?? a bad plug casue this? injector?

any thoughts would be most helpful.

thanks.
'FLYER

In The Wind

Faast Ed

Have you looked at your plugs? If so, how do they look?
≡Faast Ed>

Valley

I would check your fuel pressure. I've seen many pin holes in the line, in the tank. Low pressure will also give you a lean condition. :up:    :idea: Also check for intake leak.

Clintster

Have you ever looked at the front injector wire, my 02 had an issue with the wire.  It was tied too tight from the factory.  The symptoms were rough running til it eventually would only fire on one cylinder.  Do you have a service manual, they have a procedure for testing this.  Wiggle test, try moving the wire around and see if it makes a difference. Also the IAC bore needs cleaned from time to time.  Pull the air cleaner and clean the bore with carb cleaner or brake clean.  With the aircleaner off watch it operate, see if it hanging up.
Drive fast, take chances

dakota224

intake leak maybe??? spray some wd-40 or something around the intake flanges(motor running).. if the motor rev`s up or anything during this prosses you have a leak.  good luck.

JAU Flyer

Clinster,

yeha...i have a sevice manual and have been doing some digging. i will look for the injector wire and do the "wiggle' test. also, what am i looking for in the "IAC?

thanks.
'FLYER

JAU Flyer

hey Valley Racing..

how, or what is the easiest way to check fuel pressure, or for a pinhole in the line inside the tank? i have heard of this, but never had to check for it...

faaaaaaaaassst ed...haven't pulled the plus yet, but will this evening. i have a new set to install in case i had a bad one. i'll give some feedback on the plugs once i dig into it later on...

thanks.
'FLYER

Clintster

IAC is inside the TB on the top.  You will see it as you remove the aircleaner.  The IAC will extended and adjust as you bring the ignition online. Check it out, residue from the gases buildup.  Do you vent the crankcase to atmosphere? How old are your spark plug wires, more than two years?  Twelve bucks for cheap insurance for good spark.
Drive fast, take chances

seventhson

I had what sounds like the identical problem on my 05 fxsti. Finally changed over to carb only to start having the same problem after a few months. I had changed out the MAP sensor and CPS just to eliminate them. Turned out to be faulty wiring in the MAP sensor lead. Changed out the wiring and no more trouble. The plus side is that I know my ride a LOT better than before. Don't trust a visual inspection of wiring. Mine was a bad extrusion of the insulation causing the conductors to touch slightly.
Good Luck,
Mark
It's better to burn out than fade away!!

Valley

Quote from: JAU Flyer on November 30, 2008, 12:53:39 PM
hey Valley Racing..

how, or what is the easiest way to check fuel pressure, or for a pinhole in the line inside the tank? i have heard of this, but never had to check for it...

thanks.

You need a fuel pressure gauge and the adapter that fits on the tank.It's can be tested in 30 sec. if you have the adapter.

jumpinjack

``after riding yesterday...about 130 miles, it only took 3.2 gallons of gas. usually it would be in the 4 to 4.4 range.``
                                              ---------------------------------------------------------

That`s only about 40 mpg, very average, i usually get around 43 mpg. My first thought would be bad gas if running rough.
Have had this happen before. Best luck with BP gas.
JJ