April 28, 2024, 01:12:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

stock 72 flh

Started by kikstand, November 30, 2008, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikstand

started up the bike and oil started  pouring out what I believe is a vent hose,I had taken out the oil screen and cleaned it prior to this,what the hell did I do?

Dennman

Has your scoot been sittin long.Common w/ shovels that sit for a while.If a little crap gets under the check ball, oil will run into the engine sump and blow out the crankcase vent when fired up.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

kikstand

it has been setting for a few weeks I also checked the spring in the oil pump I was wondering if I put it back in wrong,and the ball wasn't seating properly,I know I sound like a dumbass but I am determined on learning how to work on this thing, thanks for responce.

Lew

Provided everything is back where it should be.  Most likely the ball check has something keeping it from seating.  This will allow oil to fill up the case when sitting.  I'd inspect and clean.  If it continues to do this the ball check might need to be reseated.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

kikstand

thanks for response will clean and try agian.

the Grump

If the cleaning the check ball doesn't work check the key on the oil pump shaft. The one closest to the front of the bike. That's happened more than a couple of times.

Lew

Yep....could be the pump itself not returning oil back to the tank.  With the engine running about 2k check the tank for a good flow of returning oil.  If it doesn't return or is just dribbeling in.......time to get inside the pump.  Good luck!
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-