April 30, 2024, 11:23:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Superseer Helmets

Started by RK101, November 30, 2008, 12:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RK101

Anybody riding with one of these on the noggin. I've been looking at them for some time now. If you wear one how about some info on how you like it as far as value, comfort,and weight. I've kind of like the thought of the adjustable suspension liner for summer and winter use.
http://estores.infront.com/superseer/item_info.asp?pid=120#   TIA ...........RK101
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

fleetmechanic

We've got a fleet of bikes in Denver and have been using the Superseer helmets for over 30 years. I was not aware that the hanging suspension version was even still made as we switched to the ones with foam pads in them at least 15 years ago.  The riders said the foam pad version was more comfortable as the weight of the shell was more evenly distributed and the summer comfort level seems to be about the same.

RK101

Fleetmechanic Thanks for your reply I've been wondering between the two inner liners. I thought maybe the adj.one might be better because I could adj. it for different times of the year and what I was going to wear under it. I wore hard hats in work for years and now that you mention it they had a suspension inner liner and they were not all that comfortable. One of the things I'm a little concerned about is the weight. I got a few cranky vertebra's in my neck and heavy helmets tear me up after a few hours riding. I think I might have to call the Co. to see how much they weigh.

crazy joe

November 30, 2008, 06:48:23 PM #3 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:40:22 PM by crazy joe
I have been wearing one for 3-4 years now.  If I have to buy
another helmet it will be a Superseer. The weight seems fine to me, it has a strap
that goes around the base of your skull that keeps the helmet secure on you head.
S1608 with vents

Eglider

I have a Super Seer model S1607 helmet. It seems like a heavy helmet until you put it on...then it seems very light and comfortable. It's really strange...the longer I wear it the more comfortable it seems to be. Like yourself, I had looked at them for a very long time before ordering one. I like the fact that they are American made, can be ordered in unique color schemes, have a removable lining, and are both DOT and Snell approved. I ordered one with a standard 3-snap visor, then I purchased the smooth visor that J&M sells. I also use the Super Seer goggles that fit over my glasses. I highly recommend this helmet. Plan on about a month wait to get one.

still_havinfun

my wife and i have the 1607S superseer helmets for the last two years. i didn't wear a helmet when they did away with the helmet law in kentucky mainly because they all pulled at my hair and itched a bunch. since we have used these seer helmets with the adjustable foam pads, my head doesn't itch and i am loosing no hair in the process of wearing the helmet. they are very high quality and have a variety of color and pattern schemes that you custom pick or choose one of the set designs. don't be in a big hurry to receive your helmet though because they don't start building it till you put in the order.
just like the other reply, if i had to order a new one it would be the seer again.

RK101

I'm really concerned about the weight. The Dot helmets I've been wearing only weighs in at around 30 oz's. (Vega XTS.) From what I've been told is the Seer half helmets weigh in at around 2lb,12 oz's. I know that my neck will never be able to put up with that much weight for any length of time.
To many years working in the elements has taken it's toll on the old body.
I also remembered I have a friend who has one and he also said the best way to go is with the foam lining. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anybody else is thinking about buying one. He also said they are on the heavy side but they are a very good helmet. Thanks again guys for your replies.  :up:

crazy joe

RK101    Maybe the half helmet will suit you weight wise, I have the half helmet
and it is a darn good helmet with accessories for cold weather riding.

RK101

I contacted Superseer and the women on the other end told me the large with the #2 foam liner weighs between 32 and 36 oz's. If that's a help to any of you guys.

still_havinfun

i would rather go with the foam inserts that velcro in. they come in different thickness and can make your helmet a custom fit. i really don't notice the weight, it might be beause the helmet fits perfectly. they also give you a slight gap to allow the air ports to flow the cooler air over your head.
the paint job looked like a million on mine till the ol knocked it off my bike and it rolled through the gas station parking lot. they even sell a flip up short visor for rainy days

RK101

Still, that's what there calling the #2 liner. I think I'm going to have to think this over a little more, $240 is allot to put out for a helmet that might be to heavy for my cranky neck Vertebra's. Living on a fixed income now a days isn't what it was even two years ago.  :cry:

Tsani

December 01, 2008, 06:55:21 PM #11 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:02:20 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
RK - That's about 10 ozs less than the model I told ya about. Wonder why? Anyway - the OL wears one of these and loves it http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/index.html You might want to consider this as an option. Sorry tho, no winter skirt on these.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

RK101

Thanks Tsani I had looked at them also but liked the flow through venting on the Superseer helmets. The next time we ride together I'm going to have to take a good look at yours. Between this cranky neck of mine and having a to screw around with the foam in every helmet I ever bought I'm really gun shy about pulling the trigger on a helmet I haven't tried on. That's part of the reason I liked the seer helmets because two of the liners have the adjustable feature. I really have to be careful about the weight though because when my neck starts bothering me it last for days and takes all the fun out of riding and can make life miserable. :emsad: It's funny I can wear my open faced helmet on the highway and ride for hours. I guess because most of the weight is low on my head and the wind doesn't want to lift it off my head, but give me a heavier half helmet to wear and I'm dieing in a very short period of time. Being retired is nice but it means your not as young as you once were, and it brings on a whole new set of problems. I guess I'm still lucky though at least I'm not p*ssing my pants yet.  :hyst:

crazy joe

RK101   The Superseers half helmet has a strap the goes around the base of the skull
which keeps it from moving around on your head because of the wind.

RK101

CJ Thanks, I noticed that and it does seem like a feature that might be a good one. For now though I'm going to have to see for myself and try one on to see about the weight. The rest of the helmet I like and have no problem with. The visor I wouldn't even use.

moose

I've been wearing their 1/2 helmet for around 2 years. I retired my 1950's harley helmet to use on my 1950 pan. I do think it is a little heavy but you get used to it after a while. I actually bought mine at a close out for 1/2 price then spray painted it flat black (so I look cool.) talk about heavy the one in my avaitar is heavy also
Moose aka Glenn-