May 05, 2024, 12:05:56 AM

News:

Which Oil Cooler?

Started by djl, November 30, 2008, 01:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

November 30, 2008, 01:27:11 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:23:15 PM by djl
'02 FLHT, 107" Axtell kit, etc., new build; less than 200 miles but on a day when ambient is 60*-70*, oil temps get close to 230*.  However, I ride in south Texas and the summers can be brutal; I need an oil cooler, or two.  I run the H-D premium unit on my 95" Deuce and it does a pretty good job.  I am thinking of going the Jagg route and piping up one or two small heat exchangers, one on each down tube but also like what I read about the Narley cooler.  Got some time, the rest of the riding season will be cool enough that oil won't get above 230* but looking for ideas, suggestions on what works best.

Mike52

Quote from: 05FLHTC on November 30, 2008, 01:42:52 PMIMO the Jagg has provided great cooling for my 103 BUT changing the oil now is a HUGE PITA due to the fricken oil cooler feed & return lines being routed right below the oil filter. Now way for me to pull the filter without dripping oil all over the front mount, really pisses me off. 

Maybe you should try a piece of aluminum foil slid under the filter with the foil folded so it directs the oil into the drain pan, works great for me, very little clean-up left that a shot of brake clean won't take care of. Just a thought.

Mike 
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Blackbaggr

I'm running the HD Premium...just put it on at the end of the summer so I really can tell you a whole lot. BUT...Donny Peterson of AIM recently did a feature about oil coolers. Actually it was over three months worth of issues. Anyway..he likes the Jagg 10 row better than the HD. Jagg used to make the HD but doesn't anymore. Both models turbulate the oil which is key in efficiently cooling the oil but he claims the Jagg does better with oil pressure issues.

My .02

the Jagg down tube works great but I agree with getting the anti-rotation device for the jagg
02 EG 95" Carb WT Crusher 118hp/108tq

FXDRYDR

Quote from: 95118 on November 30, 2008, 05:18:10 PM
the Jagg down tube works great but I agree with getting the anti-rotation device for the jagg

+3!

eddfive

Jagg 10 row, no restriction or thermostat, with the entire rotation assembly works great.  I burned up my 124CI twice(I am slow) with the stock harley oil cooler and thermostat(assembly is way to restrictive in a 2003 model year cooler)  I now have the JAGG and oil temps are way down between 185 and 200F.  I am anxious to see this next summer what it does.