May 01, 2024, 05:16:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rekluse Torque Drive

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, February 06, 2010, 10:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Has anyone used one or know of its use and if so what is the feed back on this product.

http://www.rekluse.com/torqdrive.shtml

Thanks
Member since 2004

hrdtail78

I haved installed a few on customers bikes.  Mostly people w/ foot clutchs.  They work real nice.  Dont have anything negative to say about them.  Haven't had a customer complaint about them yet. KOW.  They send you everything you need if you pop for the install kit.  It is set up where you dont have to remove the clutch hub for install, but I always have.
Semper Fi

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I wonder if there is any comparison with a VPC?

Or any other similar product.
Member since 2004

glens

Probably a direct comparison.  Just a different method to achieve the same end, it seems.  This one looks like it's got a method to lessen the at-rest spring pressure but get it back up to normal at speed.  The VPC simply adds to the spring pressure continually more as the revs increase.

This thing actually looks pretty good.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Anyone else have any experinence or opinions?
Member since 2004

jayjaywideglide

I installed one on my 99 WG and it works great.  Have about 20K on this setup.  About 1/2 the clutch effort and real smooth.  I can pull in the clutch with 2 fingers easily.  Easy to install, just replaces the stock pressure plate and need the stock HD clutch. And it says it will work with the any other easy clutch setup.

It also has a feature that if it senses the clutch slipping, like hard acceleration or pop the clutch, a secondary spring locks the clutch.  I've tried it many times and it really works.

kjd

I tried it on customes bike and had some problems, just sent it back. They were easy to deal with about it.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

JD's Cycle,

What was the issue you had and what did they say to you about it and are you installing a new one or something different?

Thanks.
Member since 2004

Ken R

Glad I did a search before posting. 
I have a friend (female rider) that bought a CVO Road Glide.  She loves everything about it except the clutch effort.  With her smaller  hands, she struggles with the clutch.  I suggested a hydraulic clutch, but oops, it already has one.  And it's really a stiff clutch to pull, even with hydraulic.  (hydraulic only eliminates the cable friction, the mechanical ratio of lever throw to clutch throw is about the same).

She asked the dealership to install a reduced effort spring.  They refused, saying that it would be over-powered by the 110 engine.   Well yeah, but only if you actually use the available power.  I doubt that she ever does.  Am I wrong on this theory?

The Rekluse Torq Drive clutch appears to be the answer for her.  If it really reduces clutch effort in half, it'd be perfect.  I'm thinking that the hydraulic actuator would work with it; since the pressure plate is the same, hydraulic or not.

I'm going to suggest this to her unless someone says, "No, don't do it."

cig

Why not the lightrt spring and a vpc?   :scratch: Irun that in my 103 with 255 cams and never had a problem. Clutch pulls very easy. I know i'm pulling mor power than a stock cvo.
cig 
Alton, Illinois

Redrubicon2004

I've got one comming any day now.  Once I get my 107" together, I will have some real world feed back for ya.  I currently have a SE spring and SE plates so it will be an interesting comparison.

Kleetus

Quote from: Redrubicon2004 on April 09, 2010, 10:53:48 AM
I've got one comming any day now.  Once I get my 107" together, I will have some real world feed back for ya.  I currently have a SE spring and SE plates so it will be an interesting comparison.

Red Rubicon,
Did you ever get your Torque Drive? If so, what are your thoughts on it's performance?
Thanks

rbabos

:scratch: Somebody was thinking on this one. Good idea. All depends on the heat treatment so the ramps to allow smooth progression on the balls, all at the same time, for a long time. I would think that consideration was made. None the less, hell of an idea.
Ron

Kleetus

I just discovered that throwout bearing to be trashed. That's what probably let go and felt like a cable breaking. Heck, these push rods may have been welded together for a long time. It's got 140K on it. I'm going to have to fab some kind of tool to pull them apart. Maybe a slide hammer that will thread onto the adjusting screw. I think it's 7/16" fine thread.
Ever heard of this?

Redrubicon2004

Quote from: Kleetus on August 15, 2010, 12:41:52 PM
Quote from: Redrubicon2004 on April 09, 2010, 10:53:48 AM

Red Rubicon,
Did you ever get your Torque Drive? If so, what are your thoughts on it's performance?
Thanks

I never did reply to this thread.  Figured I should.  I had nothing but bad results with it.  I tried and tried to adjust it to make it work.  Valley Racing even had problems with it.  I ended up sending it back and bought one from BDL.

kjd

I had the same problems with it.

Kleetus

I did get a Torque Drive. It didn't work out for me though. Nice folks however and they made it right.

HD/Wrench

Got a chopper here in for a top end on a ultima engine  ...  but it has a foot clutch & jockey shift and this drive.  I have not rode the bike as the engine was making a huge racket. Once we get the top end done. I will report back.

DaleW

Quote from: Ken R on April 09, 2010, 08:15:51 AM
Glad I did a search before posting. 
I have a friend (female rider) that bought a CVO Road Glide.  She loves everything about it except the clutch effort.  With her smaller  hands, she struggles with the clutch.  I suggested a hydraulic clutch, but oops, it already has one.  And it's really a stiff clutch to pull, even with hydraulic.  (hydraulic only eliminates the cable friction, the mechanical ratio of lever throw to clutch throw is about the same).

She asked the dealership to install a reduced effort spring.  They refused, saying that it would be over-powered by the 110 engine.   Well yeah, but only if you actually use the available power.  I doubt that she ever does.  Am I wrong on this theory?

The Rekluse Torq Drive clutch appears to be the answer for her.  If it really reduces clutch effort in half, it'd be perfect.  I'm thinking that the hydraulic actuator would work with it; since the pressure plate is the same, hydraulic or not.

I'm going to suggest this to her unless someone says, "No, don't do it."

Have you thought  about trying to find a master cylinder with a smaller diameter bore? Lever will travel further to pump the same amount but will reduce pressure required.
2009 RoadKing Classic

itsafatboy

BDL makes same thing,  i used one and worked fine i bought heavier bearings ava. from bdl. i think they were tungsten steel you can swap every other bearing just causes more lockup having a heavier ball or maybe lockup sooner,   

Kleetus

Can you elaborate on the BDL unit? What is it called?

Thanks