May 07, 2024, 07:14:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Symptoms of shifted flywheel

Started by Mtrman, November 30, 2008, 03:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtrman

Just curious as to what the symptoms of a shifted flywheel would be on a twin cam besides a vibration?

Have a good day eh!!

roadglide65

IMO It dose not happen all at once it slowly gets worse and you have no idea that it's going till your oil pump goes out at worse.

I though mine might be getting a little out out of wrack,, and was riding with a friend of mine and his daughter said that my headlights were really shaking when we where at a stop light. Went in the next weekend and checked my runout it was at .019.

So when in doubt check. 

Clintster

What year is your bike, how many miles, what mods?  Checked comp nut, motor mount those sorts of things? 
Drive fast, take chances

Mtrman

A buddy and I were just shootin the SH!! over a few brews about what symptoms it would produce besides a badass vibration.

Cheers gents!

tireater

I had a crankshaft shift with a gear drive...it started making a ticking noise with vibration shortly before losing some teeth...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tireater

Killer

Having good teeth can be expensive..  :emsad:
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

tireater

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

KingofCubes

I did a stage kit on a 07 Deluxe that had 7,500 miles on it and it had no ill symptoms at all. Tore it down to find the oil pump and cam plate were damaged because of the crank runout to the point that they needed to be replaced. She bit the bullet and had me true and weld the crank because her warranty would only give her another "like" assembly.

se

i find it hard to beleive all the hype about flywheels..... it seems that a few shops are blowing it out of reality to drum up business...
i know a lot of bikes out there with worked motors and no flywheel problems..
it also seems that certin shops  say they see problems with out of the box after market cranks also. i beleive it is not as badd as it is.....
dont  beleive everything  you read o the forums and also take a look at whose writing this crap. but if you want to spend your money then go a head.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

tireater

My 05 FLHT is on it's 3rd crankshaft...As KoC said...Putting in a like unit only got me 6k miles more at $ .50 a mile extra...
Both my bikes have welded crankshafts now...The St Bob has a Jims stroker race crankshaft...Stock HD C.S's suck...!!!

Redleg

Quote from: Killer on December 01, 2008, 06:52:49 PM
Having good teeth can be expensive..  :emsad:
I like women who got no teeth. :smilep:

x52gnr

It doesnt exist so there are no symptoms...just ask any dealer service dept...   :hyst:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

waskier01

I haven't seen one post that shows a symptom besides vibration.

ederdelyi

I think what many here are missing is the number of TC's that have been produced since it's introduction as opposed to previous models in HD's "lean" years. Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with those who have had crank issues, but, here are some facts to consider:

All built up cranks can shift. Doesn't matter if it's pressed together (as many are in other MC motors that use them) or bolted together.

Earlier 5 piece cranks had their issues as well, especially if one was trying to get high power out of 'em.

All HD built up cranks are BIG and HEAVY. Lots of mass to try and keep from moving around when rapid accel/decel forces are applied.

Stock power levels are higher than previous models ever produced. More TC's are out there in a relatively short time and many more of them are modified to produce even more power.

Sheer numbers dictate that more cases of flywheel/crank problems will be observed.

Bottom line, IMO. The basic idea of using a built up crank for a motor this large and with as much mass as needed to try and compensate for the primary imbalance of a 45 deg. V-Twin is flawed. Had this motor been designed with a one piece crank and offset rods with plain bearings it would have been a much better platform for HD to build on for the future. But, that's not the way HD does things. No excuses for the cost cuttiong measures and other things that have been done to the motor since it's introduction ... that's business and typical of what happens to a company being driven by bean counters and stockholders who only care about cost and lining their pockets. One can either roll the dice and test their luck or take measures to try and remedy what is a known problem that can occur ... especially if you plan on aggressive riding or pushing the power levels up.

Caveat Emptor ... and I'm not ragging on those who "rolled the dice" and lost.

x52gnr

2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

kevmac

What about a slow drop in oil pressure over time, if the crank wobble is wearing out the gearator? would this be a symtom?
07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

jack5hd

MY VIBRATION WASN'T TO BAD UNTIL I REALLY WOUND IT UP.THEN IT WAS THERE...........BUTI GOT A LOUD TICK.UPON INSPECTION HAD 2 TEETH BTOKEN ON BIG CAM GEAR.IF ONE MORE WOULD OF BROKE MOTOR WOULD OF GONE COMPLETELY OUT OF TIME..THAT WOULD OF BEEN A DISASTER.....I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP AND CAN SHOW YOU A PICTURE OF BROKEN GEAR.I AM NOT A INDY OR NUTHIN.... J.K.