May 07, 2024, 03:42:15 PM

News:

Mouse Prevention

Started by wayzalot, November 30, 2008, 03:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayzalot

November 30, 2008, 03:50:38 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:19:58 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
The winter before last I had a mouse make a nest in my fairing.  Luck would have it the mouse did not eat any wires.  An Indy told me to tape bounce dryer sheets inside the fairing to detour mice.  We do this with our winterized street rods.  Attached is a picture. ( if I did the picture attachment correctly).  Just thought I would share this idea.  If a mouse eats your wires that would be bad. :angry:

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/baileyhome/?action=view&current=HarleyFaring.jpg
"My life is based on a true story"

Sonny S.

Regular scent or springtime fresh ?   :hyst:

BTW..thanks for the tip  :up:

1997bagger

I have heard of the bounce trick, wife won't come off her stash though.

Don't let the bike set long enough for an invasion, I've believe that mice don't like 60 mph or frequency's that can set of car alarms  :wink:

What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

fuzznut5197

I have used one of these, they work pretty good:

-------

rigidthumper

How do you get the cat in your fairing?
:)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

smutley

Well its justa  thought  but if you can take the fairing of to tape up the hole for the winter while not riding leave it off and they have no reason to stay there

smutley
Rather be hated for who i am
than be loved for who i'm not

RK101

Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Phu Cat

Wayz, I've been meaning to pick up some mouse poison even tho I haven't had a problem with them and the bike.  Ya can't be too careful.  But ya gotta put the poison where pets can't get to it.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

88b

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 30, 2008, 06:04:13 PM
How do you get the cat in your fairing?
:)

You forgot  and keep your hand in one piece

wayzalot

Phu Cat  You are so correct.  If a dog eats the mouse poison they would bleed internally and probablly die.  I do not have mice where I live now but two years ago I lived in a old farm house.  We couldn't trap all the mice so we named them.  Then one day the neighbors cat ate Mickey  :cry: 
"My life is based on a true story"

Panzer

December 02, 2008, 07:40:24 PM #10 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:42:27 PM by Panzer
God, I love these stories.   :hyst:
Poor Mickey....R.I.P
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Scurvy

Fuzznut - great pic... once inawhile our cat brings 'em in the house alive to play with later.
But I do agree, a cat, and a cat door will make those guys scarce.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Rags722

Quote from: wayzalot on December 02, 2008, 05:14:32 PM
Phu Cat  You are so correct.  If a dog eats the mouse poison they would bleed internally and probablly die.  I do not have mice where I live now but two years ago I lived in a old farm house.  We couldn't trap all the mice so we named them.  Then one day the neighbors cat ate Mickey  :cry: 

Keep in mind, mice can't puke... dogs can.  That is why poisons are so effective on mice.  While a dog could eat enough mouse poison to die, odds are he would puke at least some of it out before it got into his system.  With a mouse, once swallowed, he's stuck with it.  However, as with any poison, it's best to put it where pets, kids and other loved ones can't get into it.
Rags

Spyder

SPYDER

slo-poke 03

you can buy/get saftey boxes to hold the poison so the mice, rats can get at it but pets can't. I got some from work a long time ago, but I think you can buy them at the farm supply.

shovelmonster76

A flame thrower and a pitchfork should do the trick. :teeth:
Watch out for those Alligators

ohio-rider

Don't forget about plugging up those exhaust pipes either. Critters like to crawl in them as well.

Tollbooth

Come on guys,stop with the over kill. MOTH BALLS , buy a box, put some in a old sock, make several , then hang em on the bike. Don't take anything apart.
This has been used by boaters for decades. Mice love boats, so do others.
In the spring take the sock full of moth balls and store it in a coffee can with a lid. A box of moth balls will last for 5-6 years for cents.RECYCLE EM and use em over and over.
Tollbooth

HDRDR

Quote from: ohio-rider on December 09, 2008, 06:23:27 AM
Don't forget about plugging up those exhaust pipes either. Critters like to crawl in them as well.

steel wool works good for that

Burch

Tollbooth has the same idea as I do..moth balls.

They are sort of small, and moths are hard to find in the winter. So it is best to collect them during the summer.  You can bait them with a wool sweater.:hyst: 

Seriously though, moth balls have kept mice out of my car that is storage for years. Plus keep away anything mice might want to eat.

Burch
Burch

HIPPO