May 03, 2024, 04:45:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike dies like I hit the kill switch

Started by Harley_Nel, November 30, 2008, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley_Nel

For the last couple of weeks, at random times, my bike would just cut out momentarily. I’d have full electrical power and the lights, turn signals, etc. would always keep working. I’d just be riding along and it would die just for a second and then kick back on with a backfire. Occasionally, I’d look at the dash in time to see the check engine light as it was going out. Looking back, it was almost like I hit the kill switch and then flipped it back on again. I checked the plug wires and the connection to the ignition system and it all seemed ok.
Last night as I weas riding home, it just quit. Full, bright lights and all electrical seemed to be in good order. However, when I turned on the ignition switch, there was no check engine light that normally comes on and stays on until the bike fires. The starter switch was also non-responsive. Again, it’s almost like the kill switch was switched off. I have checked the ignition fuse and that seems intact. I pulled the starter relay and reseated it and that seems ok but I don’t know how to diagnose a bad starter relay.

My first inclination is to take apart the right side switch housing just to make sure the connection to the kill switch is ok.
Right now the bike is dead in the water and here in sunny Central Florida we still have 8 months of riding before I put the bike up for the summer.

Some details:
2006 RK Custom, carbureted
Rinehart True Duals
Big Sucker
DTT
95"
Andrews TW31

smoserx1

Something similar was happening to my 99 FLHT recently, and it looks like it was the ignition module itself.  Mine did not completely die like yours has though.  The last day before I replaced the module it cut out like you described 4 times in one day.  It has been about a month since I replaced the module and no more issues, so I assume that was it.

Ratfade

At least you no longer have the problem of trying to track down an intermittent electrical problem... and the bike is in your garage. If you have the shop manual, go to the diagnostics. If you don't have it you should probably get it. It's possible that it's the ECU, but your bike is pretty new for that to be the problem.

MontePopham

Double check your battery ground and the battery itself. I've had batterys break internally and do the same as what your talking about.  Look for the simple/easy to do stuff first.

Bakon

starter relay should not cause it to die once running.
wasting time

Pacemaker

I had the same thing as far as the pausing/dying for just a second or a back fire and the engine light coming on.  It turned out to be the front cylinder spark plug was bad, and that was the last thing I expected to be wrong, because they were new and only had 3k on them, I'm not saying that is you problem but does sound like some kind of ignition problem. 

As far as the bike is dead now sound like a whole other issue.

Let us know how it turns out, hope your fix is easy and quick.

Harley_Nel

Thanks for the replies/suggestions.
I had a short lived success but am back to square one. Here's what I've done/checked so far:

* Made sure battery connections are good
* Spark plugs/wires look good
* Confirmed fuses are all good
* Checked the connection to the kill switch in the right side switch housing - the switch is hard-wired in but the wires appear to be in good shape
* Replaced the DTT ignition module with stock.

After all this, nothing. Then I replaced the DTT module and plugged in my diagnostic cable to read any codes or see if there was anything unusual. When I turned on the ignition switch to power up the module, I noticed the check engine light came on - good sign!
I was able to download the log & statistics (attached) and saw that the last historical code seemed to indicate a loss of power to the DTT module.
I cleared the code, unplugged the diagnostic cable and prepared to fire it up.
Compression releases - Check
Enrichener - Check
Ignition on and check engine light on - Check

Hit the starter and it came to life! I pushed the enrichener off too early and too much and I stalled it. No prob. Went to fire it up again, it grunted against the compression and stalled. This time, no check engine light. No response from the starter. But as before, all the lights are bright.

Plugged in the diagnostic cable to the DTT unit and am unable to connect. The message on my PC indicates no power to the module. Jiggling wires and looking for loose connections yeilds no results.

I am assuming at this point that my problem is narrowed down to no power to ECM but I can't be 100% sure.
Any thoughts?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Justpassingas

sounds similar to my problems on my 98RK....After checking various things out I pulled the dash off and checked the ignition switch and found the pigtail plug to the switch was green with corrosion as was the inside of the ignition switch itself...I pulled the switch apart and cleaned with steel wool put a little dab of bulb grease on the contacts and re-assembled...Also clean up the plug with a wire brush ...problem fixed
For Duty and Humanity

RevFastEddy

You might check the turn/bank switch.. That little switch that turns the engine off when you fall over. It has been known to cause problems like yours. THe insides of the switch start loosening up and the bike thinks it momentarily is on its side. It is worth a check.. hope you find it.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

Bakon

I think you guys are getting it right with the ignition and bank angle sensor. Had a bad ignition once, looked fine but wasn't. Same problem, but a FI bike.
wasting time

snoman

Good to see this info posted. My '02 carbed classic died on me two separate times this summer . Still would crank over but no fire .
Started thinking it was starving for fuel . Did a road side repair and pulled the fuel petcock . { full tank of course, and borrowed bucket from a restaurant } . Switched the diaphragm and spring around and it's been running since . Prior to the last time it shut down , I think it was leaning out , more exhaust popping etc, than normal .
   Not positive that it's fixed yet , but no further problems.  At least I'm hoping !  Could still be one of those electrical glitches . Don't have access to a lot of dealers in North. Ont. Can. to check things out.   Is this something a dealer could do a diagnostic on ?
   I apologize if I'm intruding on this thread , but it's kinda related .
  sno

Harley_Nel

I went into the nacelle behind the headlight and found that the deutsch connecter from the right side of the handlebars was not seated completely. I have a set of Chubby handlebars with the wiring run inside the bars and apparently the wrench did not fully enage the connector when he put it back together.
It took a lot of pressure but I pushed until I got a positive click.

No problems since.