April 27, 2024, 02:49:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1000 mile service

Started by 88b, February 09, 2010, 10:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

88b

did my 1000 mile service today, dealer is supposed to do it here and it's free, but I don't trust them. They did give me the oil and filter. I'd heard about the mufflers going rusty, but I was surprised how bad this is after a few months and 1100 miles, think I'll have a new one under warrenty.

panhead_dan

There are several ways to go regarding your muffler. If money is available, ceramic coatings are poular as is a mod done by a friend called Odie (Special O.P.S.) That's what I did. He mods the can and gives it a quality paint job that holds up well. The result is a weight loss of about 5 lbs, shortens the muffler about 5", retains all the stock mounts and power valve, increases the sound delightfully without being too loud and adds noticable power. No tuning changes required. Highly recommended. Another tried and true remedy that does not involve much money is a rattle can full of black bbq paint and a wire brush. (Odie uses some special paint and will tell you what it is if you ask him for the do it yourselfer.)
If you can get a replacement under warrenty, try to get the old can. That way you can send it to Odie or give it to someone who wants to. I recommend you paint the new can ASAP anyway.

panhead_dan

88b

Thanks for the link Dan, dealer ordered me a new one and is getting it coated, they told me HD is happy to pay as it's cheaper than four or five mufflers in two years  :dgust: