May 04, 2024, 02:28:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lining up cam timing marks 09 ultra

Started by gpp, November 30, 2008, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpp

andrews 54h cams,installed in the cam plate,dots line up.to line up the gears and timing chain i have to rotate the top gear to line up the crank gear.this of course moves the timing marks for the cams them selves.not alot but enough that they dont line up perfectly any more.is this normal?maybe im wrong but on my older twin cams i thought all the timing marks stayed in line even after the timing chain was put on.this is my first gear type install so im a little hesitent on this.so is it normal to change the marks when the timing chain goes on?

fxrp

Quote from: gpp on November 30, 2008, 04:46:13 PM
andrews 54h cams,installed in the cam plate,dots line up.to line up the gears and timing chain i have to rotate the top gear to line up the crank gear.this of course moves the timing marks for the cams them selves.not alot but enough that they dont line up perfectly any more.is this normal?maybe im wrong but on my older twin cams i thought all the timing marks stayed in line even after the timing chain was put on.this is my first gear type install so im a little hesitent on this.so is it normal to change the marks when the timing chain goes on?

If you have the cams timed properly the pinion shaft (crank) probably rotated a little on you. Try this, rather than turn the cam gear, rotate the engine to line up the crank gear.

Paul

x52gnr

Quote from: fxrp on November 30, 2008, 07:33:41 PM
Quote from: gpp on November 30, 2008, 04:46:13 PM

If you have the cams timed properly the pinion shaft (crank) probably rotated a little on you. Try this, rather than turn the cam gear, rotate the engine to line up the crank gear.

Paul

I agree with above....Rotate the engine and line it up...just went through this myself and all the dots should line up...there is also a timing line on the camplate that lines up with the dots as well. if you have the bike on a lift you can pull the plugs, put the bike in gear and rotate the rear wheel to move the motor
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

gpp