May 02, 2024, 09:19:11 AM

News:

Rebuilding a starter motor?

Started by 48pan, February 11, 2010, 05:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

How much trouble is it rebuilding a starter motor? What are the normal ways of doing it? Anybody sell a rebuilt kit?
Thanks in advance.

easyricer

We got an alternator shop here in town, usually cost just $25-$40 to fix unless you need an armature, then it'll be a bit more. Look in your phone book, I'm sure you probably have one local there too.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

76shuvlinoff

February 11, 2010, 06:29:38 AM #2 Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:40:06 AM by 76shuvlinoff
  You need to pay attention as to the brush orientation on disassembly or it can end up running backwards. I suggest hitting it with 12 volts and checking rotation on the bench BEFORE you take it apart. (if it still spins at all)
    Your usual hobby shop soldering iron is too wimpy for the job. Inspect the armature for wear. The dis-assembly and assembly procedure is in the book but it's not brain surgery.  I think I got my rebuild parts from JP Cycles or Jireh and while I was in there I installed "high torque" field coils. That's a bit more work but not real tough.
In most cases a good cleaning, new springs and brushes plus a little grease in the bearing will get it back running.
I use cheap little zip ties to hold the brushes in the pockets while I ease the armature back in. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
If it matters mine's a Prestolite, I never had a Hitachi apart but I think it's fairly similar.

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbonner

February 11, 2010, 10:33:10 AM #3 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:02:48 AM by rbonner
Starter motors are easy work, they just SUCK...  The black carbon gets everywhere.

If there was a part on your harley that the service manual spends TOO MUCH time on it is the starter moter.  There is complete instructions from stem to stern on what to do, how to regrind the commutator and how to install NEW BRUSHES...  Note: I Said NEW...

Starters are fairly cheap, but as long as the bearings are still good, you just need to burnish the commutator and install brushes, have at it.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Old Crow

Hey 76, how'd you get the armature back into the end cap with the brushes? 
I've got a Prestolite that I was removing from the housing and accidently pulled the end off of it.  Can't figure a way to hold the brushes back to get the armature in place.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

48pan

Thanks guys, I looked at the manual when I got home last night. It didn't seem all that clear. I'll look at it again this weekend when I have a little more time. I can picture holding the brushes back with zip ties.
Something troulbing in the manual about not being able to check for gruonded or shorted field coils. That didn't make sense.

rbonner

Yep zip ties...  Field coils are very low resistence.  The trick is getting all the conductive black crap off them without taking the varnish off the windings.

I told you they suck...   :scratch:  this is my new favorite emotocon...

Naw you spend days rebuilding the things, and they still won't work.  That's the neat thing about starters.

REBUILDERS HINT: Rebuild parts you cannot buy replacements for - save up for the ones you can.  rb bonner

BOB

pappyfreebird

yo crow dude..jus set er in a vise (armeture) use rag on splines n use yer fingers ta pull back the brushes as ya set the field housin down over em..easy as easy..do you have both ends off? then youll see tis easy... you hafta have both ends off ..paps

76shuvlinoff

February 12, 2010, 12:44:52 PM #8 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:47:27 PM by 76shuvlinoff
pappy's way sounds easier than mine. I push the brushes back and zip tie em loosely. Then as the armature goes it it pushes the ties off. I think I tried the same trick with spring loaded clothes pins... not much luck.
I think the first time I went through this it was a Saturday afternoon with a big ride planned for Sunday.  I got the springs and brushes at an H-D dealer and they drilled me for 1/2 the price of a new repop starter. I was in a hurry and just bent over.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Old Crow

Doh!  Take the other end off!  Who-da-thought it? 
I'll check it out next week.  Renewing our vows after 32 years this weekend, so no wrenching for me.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteRenewing our vows after 32 years this weekend,

There's a shelf life?  Statute of limitations?  Possibility for parole?    :wtf:

Seriously, sincere congrats bud.  :up:
 - Ernest Hemingway

Old Crow

Nah, just was looking for the perfect V-day present and heard on the radio that the station wanted couples to marry or renew vows on the vintage 1924 carousel at the Little Rock Zoo.
Figured we got hitched the first time in the courthouse at Vegas, the Zoo was a step up.
Really was, had a good time, got married again, made some points with the lady.
Not sure how I'm gonna top it next year, though.

rbonner

Quote from: Old Crow on February 13, 2010, 05:33:39 PM
Not sure how I'm gonna top it next year, though.

Get divorced on a Ferris Wheel?

Old Crow

February 14, 2010, 04:46:04 AM #13 Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:48:37 AM by Old Crow
Hell, I ain' been able to get rid of her since I invited her home 32 years ago, so I kinda gave up on it. 
Totally blew her away that I'd even think of that.
She figured I'd get her something for her bike for V-day.

rbonner

You know what OC, I'm envious you could spend 30 plus years with somebody and both still be happy enough to have a good attitude and want to do it all again.  I'm 34 into a life sentence, I'm thinking of going over the wall once the snow melts.

BOB

easyricer

I wish ya'll woulda told me about that before I loaded my girl up on the Shovel, took her out to supper, then proposed to her before takin her for a ride to the house (and then the liquor store, needed antifreeze!) ! Now what am I gonna do? OH well guess I'm in for a life sentence! Ya'll couldn't bring all that up yesterday mornin? LMAO
EASY

76shuvlinoff

a proposal last night Easy? 

Now don't get me wrong here, I enjoy a whiskey myself but I'm wondering if it was for you to build up the courage to ask or to loosen her up and keep her from saying no?

We'll just assume it was held in reserve to celebrate.   :wink:

Best of luck!   :up:
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

LMAO the whiskey was to thaw out after the ride! I dunno if she was shakin from the cold ride or the offer she just got!
EASY

Old Crow

Heck Bob, I found a girl who'd been riding her own motorcycles since she was like 8, likes old cars and trucks, classic rock and living in the woods.  Hard to get rid of somebody when they like all the same stuff you do.

rbonner

February 15, 2010, 09:19:05 AM #19 Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:21:40 AM by rbonner
Yeah, well mine fits fairly well too... But has developed a lot of her own opinions and become disrespectful.

Some women just come from a long line of high maintenance bitches.  Her mother isn't welcome in my house anymore...  Her grandmother finally got off my back at like 96 the easy way;  I smothered her with a pillow...

Varroom

HotRodShovel

Old Crow, congrats to you and your OL. Two lucky people to hang out that long together. Best of luck brother.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

pappyfreebird

yea bruthas congrats on many yrs n many mo n congrats ta ol easy fer scarfin him a life sentence...i hads me a good thang goin once..but me knife slipped outta sheath durin sum ruff sex n plew psssss n she started screechun n  flew off on me like all the rest ..lotta fuggan good them vynol patches were!!!!