April 30, 2024, 04:53:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT- Can't get Hotmail anymore on computer using Windows 98

Started by dakota7557, November 30, 2008, 06:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakota7557

Hi, my elderly mother is no longer able to get hotmail on her computer.  It's a computer I gave her a few years ago (E-machine) and for the last few months she has been unable to get hotmail (or yahoo).  I have already tried all the security things to try to get it but to no avail...I even re-installed win/98 figuring that would free it up for her to get hotmail but that didn't work...She has dial-up and now it says that I have to upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 before I can get it...I tried that but because she's using Windows 98, she is unable to upgrade to Int. Ex. 7...Is all this due to lack of memory on the e-machine?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...I'm trying to accomplish this the most inexpensive way possible...Thank you, Jody

jaw65

Hi
I would try and load Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
This sometime works better on an old machine. :idea:
Ride hard but stay the right way up.

ChromeWhore

Yeah, I'm screwed like that too... I feel like kickin Hotmail's ass  :angry: because I take it that they want me to upgrade my operating system so that I can download Hotmail's new interface, but I'm a cheap SOB on everything but my bike....  :wink:

--CW
an idiot if you do, an asshole if you don't... WTF

truck

I don't know how Hot Mail works because I use Outlook Express but if I just keep deleting mail without compacting the folder it causes the mail to almost stop working. Same with the sent mail...compact the file.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Flat Dog

Most chinese based spammers/scammers use hacked win98 boxes, thus the ban. Your basic browser info sends out your OS, and that is what triggers the ban.

Grandma needs a new box (no jokes, you perverts) with XP, preferably.

Panzer

PHOTO......a new box......OG.........LMAO
Pervert?
I thought nothing of the such.....lol....lol.
But I have to agree with you on the ban.

Sorry Dakota, but  new puter is in order, not "XP" but get one with "Vista".
That's the latest OS.
Hey, Christmas is near..........do it for Granny.
As of February 2009, (I think) MS won't support XP any longer.
$$$......you can try a used machine with XP at a local puter service store.
Just a thought........good luck.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Flat Dog

I'd suggested XP because Vista has been a nightmare for me, and I ended up just using my old Crackintosh for critical work. Vista blows bin ladin.

Diggs223

get xp or wait until the new os comes out, vista is going the way of ME
try thunderbird by mozilla to get the mail
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

kik

Dakota, This is interesting. It's ok to use Win XP with IE6 but Not okto use IE6 With 98? I have a bunch of 98 boxes lying around. I'll let ya know tomorrow if there is a work around.

Kik

kik

Dakota, I checked all my Windows 98 box's. They all have the IE Version 6.0.2800.1106  I didn't have any trouble logging onto hotmail or Yahoo with them. I would open the Windows explorer folder. Delete all cookies / delete all history / delete all temporary internet files. / Inside the temporary internet files folder is also the "Content IE5 Folder. Open this folder and delete all the sub folders inside. BUT DO NOT Delete the Content IE5 Folder. When you go to delete these folders it will ask you if you are sure you want to delete these system folders. Hit yes or ok. These folders will rebuild themselves as you use the internet. I have a feeling you have something in the folders and files I told you to delete stopping the connection to hotmail and yahoo. You can always email me at xkikbxr@att.net or xkikbxr@hotmail.com if you need more help.

Kik

dakota7557