May 04, 2024, 06:48:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 motor

Started by aal, November 30, 2008, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

I did a search, but couldn't find what I was after, and I appologize for bringing up something that I know has been addressed before.  I may be in the market for a new bike soon, and recall that a lot of people think the 2002 motor is the best year so far for the twin cam.  I know it has to do with the crank bearing, but could someone explain this to me in more detail?  Also, is it really that big a deal?  What I would like is a fairly late model night train / standard fx softail, but pre-2006, as I prefer the smaller rear tire.  I would obviously have more of a selection if I don't limit myself to 2002.  Also, I believe I saw something about the early 2002 models not having the better bearing, but am not sure of this.  And on the flip side, any chages for the better in the 2003 - 2005 years.  Finally, is a bearing conversion a big deal, if for example new cams are put in.  Thanks much for any replies.

les

I think most would say that a 2002 touring bike is the best overall choice.

1)  Still has the 99-02 Timken bearing on the sprocket side of the crank.  This give the builder a good basis for building heavy horsepower.

2)  The rear end is upgraded to the new swing arm and axel.

3)  The EFI is the delphi rather than the MM...more options.

The Timken bearing is not a big deal if you're not going to build big power.

Arrowsmit

forged cranks too. :wink:

VicW.

Rugby_fxdwg

I think they covered everything! Any more questions?
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Admiral Akbar

"Also, I believe I saw something about the early 2002 models not having the better bearing, but am not sure of this. "

Early models were fine.. There was an issue with mid 2000 and earlier motor having a rear cam bearing problem but that issue is easily addressable with $100 worth of parts and a few hours labor. Nothing wrong with a carbed 2001 - 2000 other than this issue.. 2001 and earlier FI are less desireable..

2002 up baggers got the upgraded swingarm, pivot and axle.

Max

NtTrain

Fuel Inj. '01 Softails are Delphi the Baggers went Delphi in '02.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: NtTrain on December 01, 2008, 12:13:53 AM
Fuel Inj. '01 Softails are Delphi the Baggers went Delphi in '02.

Yeah,
I forgot.... Been trying to to ignore FI until recently..   :teeth:  Max

Bakon

If your not going to build it up, there is benefits to a new one.
From 06 to 09 in touring you get
6 gallon tank
brembo brakes with abs option
96 motor stock (old on 88 upgrade to 95 or more)
6 speed stock tranny
new frame with four mounts
180 rear tire

again, if staying stock there is alot there for touring
wasting time

aal

Regarding the crank, what year did they go to the non-forged crank?

twincamzz

2005 was the first year for the silly putty crank  :crook:
not all who wander are lost...