May 02, 2024, 06:56:10 AM

News:

Head Gasket Brand.

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, February 15, 2010, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I am starting my 95 inch build and was wondering on opinions for head gaskets.

My friend who is helping with the build likes James gaskets and as I am pretty much tearing the whole thing down to do crank work so I am going to purchase a complete engine gasket kit. Head gasket size will be .030".

I understand a lot here use HD and Cometic.

What are some of the opinions of James?

Thanks
Member since 2004

Tsani

I have used James numerous times over the years in various models and would use them again. When they sell you a complete set, it's complete and then some. Can't say I have had a problem related to their gaskets, seals and o-rings.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Dennis The Menace

Are the James .030 HGs a 3 piece design like the MLS?  I know everyone uses the MLS, but it seems like 3 pieces of steel used as a gasket wouldnt be as reliable as a single piece design.  Didnt mean to hijack, Kghost.  Thought it might play into your decision.

Dennis

Don D

I have equally great experience with either Cometic or Cyco (US Seal) MLS gaskets. Only issues I have had with James were EVOs and those I could not blame the gasket there were other issues going on.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I spoke with James this morning getting a complete gasket kit as there web site is under construction.

According to the sales rep they do NOT offer a .030" compressed head gasket.

they only offer a .034" compressed and it is NOT MLS.

No MLS under .040" from James.

SO I will be going with Cometic kit in order to get a MLS head gasket.

The Kit Number is C9161 TC 88 99-04 1550 BB kit with .030 head gaskets.

Now to find a gooooood price!

Member since 2004

TXChop

Quote from: Deweysheads on February 15, 2010, 10:45:09 AM
I have equally great experience with either Cometic or Cyco (US Seal) MLS gaskets. Only issues I have had with James were EVOs and those I could not blame the gasket there were other issues going on.

:up:

prodrag1320

go with cometic,had some probs with james a while back,never really used them again since cometic came out(they dont offer a MLS gasket anyway

Ridetard

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on February 15, 2010, 11:19:36 AM
I spoke with James this morning getting a complete gasket kit as there web site is under construction.

According to the sales rep they do NOT offer a .030" compressed head gasket.

they only offer a .034" compressed and it is NOT MLS.

No MLS under .040" from James.

SO I will be going with Cometic kit in order to get a MLS head gasket.

The Kit Number is C9161 TC 88 99-04 1550 BB kit with .030 head gaskets.

Now to find a gooooood price!

Winter needs to end soon. :scratch: