May 04, 2024, 09:55:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compression test...

Started by tireater, December 01, 2008, 07:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

I borrowed a gauge...So I remove plugs, ground wires and turn motor over until gauge stops rising...right?
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Admiral Akbar

tireater

mayor

allows for unrestricted airflow around the butterfly....
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

HDFAT2001

Throttle wide open and hold the slide up if a carb.

tireater

The compression tester I borrowed has a crack in the rubber seal...The one I bought does not fit the spark plug hole...
Where do I get a compression tester that works with harley sparkplug holes...? Thanks

Quick_2s

Look for one for imports that has a 12mm adapter.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

mayor

I built one out of a spark plug (bottom) and small section of pipe.  I think I got the idea from Mike52...

tireater

I guess I will buy a 12mm adapter online...It reduces a 14mm to 12mm...

mayor

I tried to buy the adapter, couldn't find one.. :emsad:

Don D

EEPV307A Snap-on
Yes moved the shop to new larger quarters.

tireater

Googled '12mm compression adapter' and found one for $15 delivered...

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 01, 2008, 12:49:56 PM
EEPV307A Snap-on
Yes moved the shop to new larger quarters.

Good for you. Hope it works out..Bruce

Scramjet

Found my compresson tester with 12mm adapter included at either AutoZone or ???

Be careful.  The theads on the adapter were messed up on the one I bought.  I had to chase the threads with a 12mm die to clean them up.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

tireater

Thanks for that...I tried Kragen...I'll check Auto Zone tomorrow... :up:

Mike52

December 01, 2008, 04:57:15 PM #15 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:01:31 PM by Mike52
Quote from: wannabmayor on December 01, 2008, 10:22:26 AM
I built one out of a spark plug (bottom) and small section of pipe.  I think I got the idea from Mike52...

Sounds like I need to show that in 'Homemade Tools'

Tireater, you will get false readings (very low) if you don't take the air filter off and hold the carb slide up, the throttle has to be WFO while spinning the engine. Oh, be sure to have both spark plugs out too.  :rtfb:

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

mayor

Quote from: Mike52 on December 01, 2008, 04:57:15 PM
Quote from: wannabmayor on December 01, 2008, 10:22:26 AM

Sounds like I need to show that in 'Homemade Tools'

Mike

:up:

tireater

How do you get rid of the center of the spark plug..? I could weld something up if I could figure that out...

FSG

I think it was HH that made this one but it could have been Mike.   :)

Mike52

December 01, 2008, 05:15:41 PM #19 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:21:19 PM by Mike52
Quote from: tireater on December 01, 2008, 05:01:38 PM
How do you get rid of the center of the spark plug..? I could weld something up if I could figure that out...

Hammer and chisel, you also don't need to weld something up, I used JB Weld when making my adapter.

After you get the center of the stock plug out (the HD plugs were the easiest, I tried forever on an Autolite and it wouldn't come out), the 14mm 'Non-fouler' will slip right inside the stock plug body, join the 2 pieces together with the JB weld, let it cure overnight. The new homemade adapter will screw into the head, the 14mm adapter found in most compression testers will screw into the homemade adapter. A piece of cake, and cheap too.

Mike

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

mayor

Quote from: tireater on December 01, 2008, 05:01:38 PM

I hammer and chiseled, then used a 1/8" pipe tap to thread the base, then threaded in a small section of pipe, then soldered the threads just to be sure.  I then added an air fitting (male end) to the top of mine to hook up to my tester. 

tireater

Mike...This is the first I have heard of an unfouler...Seems perfect...Where do I get one...?

Sonny S.

the HD plugs were the easiest, I tried forever on an Autolite and it wouldn't come out

Ain't that the truth ! 

fuzznut5197

Holy cow, a non-fouler, they still make those things?  :smileo:

bigblock6912

December 01, 2008, 05:52:51 PM #24 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:55:18 PM by bigblock6912
             pep boys has them