April 27, 2024, 10:38:48 PM

News:

Welllll...

Started by Admiral Akbar, December 01, 2008, 08:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

I bought a bagger..

Got a black 2002 FLHRCI, 14700 miles, off of ebay for $10401. Came with a bike trailer (Chinese, but it looks OK, fold up, torsion bar suspension)..  Ebay gave me 10% off the $50 deposit so I saved a few bucks. Bike was in the price range I wanted.

Another black 2002 FLHRCI, 4000 miles, that I’d looked at had rusty fasteners, some of the chrome on the right tranny cover was starting peal. I offered that guy 10K but he refused.

Picked it up on Friday. Had to go to Rancho Cucamonga which is about 100 miles north of my home in SD county.. I took the truck and daughter up not being sure if I wanted to tow it back or ride it.. Made it to Cucamonga, and found the bike to be in good condition. Most of the cad plated fasteners looked new.. The bike had ownership paper showing that owner bought the bike used with 13500 miles on it in late 2002. The speedo had 14730 in it when I picked it up so the second owner had only put about 1200 miles on it is 6 years but the original owner put 13K in about 6 months (it had a 05/02 build date).. 

It had an exhaust leak and the battery low, tires almost flat but I decide to drive it home.. Told the guy that I hadn’t riddin a bagger on 30 years and so he moves the wifes Escalade out of the driveway…  :teeth:

It started twice but when we went to leave starter was “no go” so we jumped it from a car. Got it to a gas station, filled the tank and aired the tires.. Rode home OK.. The only upgrades were the floor boards, rider back rest, stage one with hooker tuned flow slip-ons.. Bike came with cruise and security..

Got it home (100 miles) and set to checking it out.. Rear exhaust flange was missing a nut so I disassembled the exhaust enough to get a new exhaust gasket in it.. The whole exhast system was blue under the covers…  :dgust:  Shifter lever was loose on the tranny so it got washer on the bolt and a little extra torque. Fluids looked new with not hint of moisture..  Tires look good even thought they have 02 date codes on them.

Sunday, put another 170 miles on it.. Would have been 180 but at 170 the battery died.. First the speedo went wacky. Then it died went I when I pulled the clutch in.. Since I was rolling, I bump started it. It ran about another half mile and quit..  Was riding with a friend to rode bitch back to the house and we ran back with a truck and trailer, picked the thing up. Pulled the battery, and it was frickin hot.. Ran up to Bigg’s and got another battery, $149.  Checked the charging system smelled the primary oil.. Both OK…  :smiled:

Few things I want to do right off..

Racetek… The front forks suck.. They go up and down but any kind of bump and you feel it.. I suspect the original owned installed heavy for oil.

Windshield needs new plastic. It’s got some pretty bad scratches.

Change the grips to the old style ribbed rubber ones..

Change the tires.

Go dual filament on the turn signals so I can use them as running lights.

Add a removable back rest for the ol’ lady..

FWIW, motor is nice and quiet. No oil leaks anywhere except a hint on the oil pan gasket. Bike runs fine.  Seems to be getting at least 45 mpg.. Only thing some might not like is that it pops on decel.. Seem to have pretty good power for a stage 1.

Questions

So how does the security system work?

What’s a good recommendation for a removable backrest/ luggage rack and possible T bag for touring?

How hard it is to get a 150 tire on the back?  Seahag over on VTF said “Pulley spacer 0.2, trim pulley guard, install tire.”

Bruce

Admiral Akbar

BTW,

One thing nice about this new site is that you can cut and paste from word direct.. It don't add trash characters.  :smilep: Max

Admiral Akbar

Same bike. The right switch on the headlight nacelle controls the extra running lights.. What does the left switch do? Max

mayor

good for you Max!  are we going to get a picture post of changes to the "B" bike (B for bagger)?  If your security is anything like mine on my '02 lowrider- good luck.   :wink:  I quit messing with it because I could always get it to shut off (to be able to start the bike up), but I'm guessing your a hair smarter than I am with all that fancy electronic stuff.   :teeth:  
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Don D

Bruce
Nice starter kit. Best year!
I have an extra quick detach rack I will sell ya cheap when I get reorganized in the new location. This rack is nearly new, perfect.

mayor

you moving your shop Don?

Pacemaker

I have an flhri 02 it now has 77k on it, great bike.  For the security to turn it on, press the fob button 1 long press until the lights flash twice.  To turn it off, 2 quick presses and the light will flash once.

HarleyFranco

Congratulations Bruce!

Check out the clearview windshield sight for a new windshield.  It has the recurve feature and a smaller shield acts like a taller one.

Frank

djl

I bought a bagger..

Got a black 2002 FLHRCI, 14700 miles, off of ebay for $10401.
Racetek… The front forks suck.. They go up and down but any kind of bump and you feel it.. I suspect the original owned installed heavy for oil.

Windshield needs new plastic. It’s got some pretty bad scratches.

Change the grips to the old style ribbed rubber ones..

Change the tires.

Questions

So how does the security system work?

What’s a good recommendation for a removable backrest/ luggage rack and possible T bag for touring?

How hard it is to get a 150 tire on the back?  Seahag over on VTF said “Pulley spacer 0.2, trim pulley guard, install tire.”

Bruce

Good deal.  I bought my first bagger earlier this year, '02FLHT with 25K miles and paid $12K.  Original owner, seven year warranty with 18 months remaining and bike was flawless.  Of course, the first thing I did was pull a perfectly good running 88" engine out, send heads to DD, bottom end to Darkhorse and order an Axtell 107" kit; go figure.

I just put a 140, actually MU90, on the back and had to remove the aluminum strip and rubber flap from the belt guard which gives about 5/16" clear between tire and beltguard.  Next will be a 150 and may have to use a spacer but I think .125" will be enough.

Don't know much about the options for backrest, etc. but my Tbag will slip over the factory backrest and sits on the extended part of the detachable backrest/rack; don't think I will need the additional detachable rack for the Tbag.

88b

If you have the owners manual it shows how the alarm works and how to make it slef arm 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. As for the other switch it's for the accesory lead under the seat. You can use it for heated clothing, extra lights etc. Sounds like you bought a nice bike, hope you enjoy it.

ejk_dyna

Your new walker should arrive by XMAS to go along with the Bagger... :wink:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: ejk_dyna on December 01, 2008, 10:33:46 AM
Your new walker should arrive by XMAS to go along with the Bagger... :wink:

I understand it has a red and yellow flame paint job, black rims and hubs with stainless steel spokes, PM levers and brakes. May also come with a VPC   :wink:

Thanks for the info guys.. I'll play with the alarm tonight.

Don, I be real interested in the rack.. Need to be able to attach a back rest or be compatable with a removable back rest though.

I think I'll prefer riding it without the windshield, backrest or any rack cept for long trips.

Will check out clearview..

Bruce

fuzznut5197

When can we expect the "Pics Of The Bagger Build" post?    :teeth:

Sonny S.

December 01, 2008, 02:44:59 PM #13 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:48:55 PM by Sonny S.
Congrats on the new scooter...you're gonna love it.

Mayor,..... you're next, and I've got the perfect accessory for you  :tea:  :wink:

mayor

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 01, 2008, 02:44:59 PM

Mayor,..... you're next, and I've got the perfect accessory for you  :tea:  :wink:

does it come in any color other than stainless?  :teeth:

still_on2_wheels

Shiney side up please.

Scramjet

Bruce,

For the windshield, FastAire has all sizes of new windshields for $25-$29 + $10 shipping.  I have a 4" H-D windshield and a 6" FastAire windshield for sale for a good price.  I don't like the expensive windshields as I would rather replace them 5 times or have 5 different sizes for the price of the high end windshields.

For the brake lights/turn signals, you don't need to change the bulbs, wiring and sockets.  The run, turn and brake controller does it for you.

Hope this helps.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

heavyhitter

Admiral Akbar

Scramjet,

Unless I screwed up my model designation.. FLHRCI is a Road King Classic Injected. Looks like fastaire only sells glide shields. I need a RK shield.. Stock is 135 but I'd bet I can get 20 off from Zannotti. The clearview is 145 but can be had 2.5 inches shorter which might be nice. One thing I noticed was that the wind shield and a full face helmet was a little too much protection from the cold.

"Pictures please."
Not sure if you wanted a pisture of what Sonny has in mind for Wanna B. but here is the link to ebay on the classic..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280286787416

Bruce

04glide

Looks like a pretty good deal. You can buy the spacer from cyclevisions down here on Taylor st. So you can fit a bigger tire. I just saw a smoked windshield for sale on one of these sites. It was used but in perfect shape. You're going to have a blast on that thing. BTW Im your neighbor to the south in Chula Vista.

Scramjet

Bruce,

You are correct.  I jumped to a conclusion without reading carefully.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Billy

Congrats, Bruce!  :beer:

Welllll.........ya got the fastest color  :up: :up: and the best year.  :smiled:

If you're using a full face helmet, whatcha need a windshield fer?

I run a 150 K591 (the widest 150 I know of) on my '00 flht with a '05 swingarm, 1 1/2" wide belt and stock fender. I can't remember exactly what I had to do (it's been a few years) but it fits and you have machine tools.  :wink:

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

05RK1

On the 05 the left switch on the nacelle is not connected to anything. :rtfb:

Reddog74usa

Youv'e done it now Magoo, Once you go Road King you'll never go back. Best all around scoot they make. IMHO Congrats n good luck. RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

December 02, 2008, 04:43:04 AM #24 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:56:00 AM by Deye76
 :up: and it's black, good choice.

1. While your messing with the front end, powder coat, black,the lower legs, engine gaurd, might as well do the air cleaner etc. :wink:
2. 2 into 1 exhaust
3. A 140 tire will go on no problem. You may have to go with a wider fender to get a 150 on,or, when it's time for a new belt and pulley's, go to the 2004 later stuff and a 150 goes on with no alterations. Those narrow belts will handle a lot of hp/tq.

Then by late next year you'll be ready for a 117"-124" motor :teeth:
For marriage counselor recommendations...............your on yer own.  :smiled:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FATMAN

Nice scoot Max.  Did you find the other 350cc's for the motor?  RKC is a beautiful bike.
More to the picture than meets the eye.

mayor

Quote from: Deye76 on December 02, 2008, 04:43:04 AM

Then by late next year you'll be ready for a 117"-124" motor :teeth:

that may be a little on the small side for Bruce.   :wink:  O'well, he can always go with that and add a shot of juice.   :teeth:

Admiral Akbar

Well it's good to see that you guys have alreadys started building my motor for me...  :wink: I could see where it could use a little more power but I'm not sure I'd want to stuff a monster in it.. After all it handles like landing barge..  :wink: I'm thinking about doing a fulsack 2 into 2 setup, maybe a w6 (37), and 95 inch with flat tops... nothing special and it don't have to beat any sport bikes.. The first thing is to update the tires and suspension a little and just ride it.. Anybody wanting to put a pumped up 124 in this chassis has got to be a little nutzo... Bruce

Sonny S.

Anybody wanting to put a pumped up 124 in this chassis has got to be a little nutzo...

Funny you should say that. I friend of mine has just that. A 124 S&S in a 98 RK Standard. Bike has over 110K on it, and this is his 2nd 124 in that bike. Pulled the 80" EVO before it left the dealer. He has an 06 Street Glide with a 103 but likes the RK better.

Personally, I think the direction you are heading is good ( except the pipe )...BWTFDIK ?   :wink:

Deye76

"nutzo"
That would be that guy on another board that has a R&R 155" in a RK.

Killer

Quote from: Deye76 on December 02, 2008, 01:20:50 PM
"nutzo"
That would be that guy on another board that has a R&R 155" in a RK.

That gives a whole new meaning to twist and shout.  :wink:
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Admiral Akbar

". I friend of mine has just that."

Well anyone that associates with you is probably a little nutzo...  :smilep:

Tim over on VTF has a 131 in a RK and he's managed to tweak it pretty good hitting a pothole.. Going to a higher perforamce motor on a touring means that your level of awareness has to be higher.. Seems to me you might just want to set back and cruze.. I'm not knocking those guys that like the power though.. Each person has thier on level of insanity...  :embarrassed: Bruce

Frankie42

You mention the battery was very hot. I would suggest you have your regulator tested. When the battery runs hot the regulator is over charging and it will damage your new battery.
Food for thought.

Frankie
FRANKIE 42

Hawg Holler

Wellll,
Congrats on the bike. There are a lot of these kinds of bikes just waiting out there for the recession to clean them out of their garages.

You talk about a lot of things you want to do, but you left out the most important parts ....  owner's and service manuals. They'll save you a lot of grief. Most of the service advice here is very good but every now and then there are some recommendations that are flat wrong or potentially damaging. It's best to have a manual to refer to. What ever you do, don't ask what kind of oil to use. :smilep:
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

Admiral Akbar

"owner's and service manuals. They'll save you a lot of grief. Most of the service advice here is very good but every now and then there are some recommendations that are flat wrong or potentially damaging."

Well, Already have a 2002, 2003 touring parts and service manuals. Not sure I need the owners manual though I've got a friend offering a 2001 owners manual.. Just need to know how to play with the alarm system.

"What ever you do, don't ask what kind of oil to use. "

Already know what kind of oil to use..  :wink:

"You mention the battery was very hot. I would suggest you have your regulator tested. "

I checked the charging system first thing after the battery. I suspect that the battery had a shorted cell which cooked the rest of it.. When the bike quit the first thing I thought was that I'd fried the stator.. The parts guy I talked to said that the battery overheating is a common failure mode for the AGMs..

Bruce

Admiral Akbar

Thinking bout doing a WT build,,

Grooved home grown heads.. 130-140 cfm intake (1.9 valve) 122 exhaust (1.63) .. (@ 10 inches)

V and H  true duals O2 bungs with Hooker TuneFlow Slipons.

WT26 gear cam

WT57 mm TB.. Manifold ports bored to 1.7 inches.

Thundermax with auto tune / o2 sensors

95 Ci Weisco 10.5 to 1 pistons though the CR might be a little high.. About 10.8

Thoughts?  :teeth:

BTW bought a 2.5 inch shorter curved fastair blem for about $100

Max

Deye76

SERT and have FLTRI tune it. :up:

PanHeadRed

>130-140 cfm intake (1.9 valve)<

>Thoughts?<

Yeah, why bother? 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: PanHeadRed on December 09, 2008, 04:29:25 PM
>130-140 cfm intake (1.9 valve)<

>Thoughts?<

Yeah, why bother? 

Cuz it's already in the heads I have?  Max

skyhook

congrats on the new bike bruce...I sometimes miss my road king on the long rides...guess you've still got the light bikes...finally figured out who you are...almost flamed you other day 'cause I thought you were someone I didn't know lol
always seem to get their azz wet?

PanHeadRed

Max, like I said in a previous post, I don't claim to know everything, but your flow #'s (I assume are 10") converted to 28" are 226/204, and while I am not expert when it comes to WT cams and TB's I would be suspect about stock flow (226) supporting a WT-26 @10.5 with a 57mm TB.

What am I missing? I don't get the part about 135 cfm / 1.9 valve

Deye76

Quote from: skyhook on December 10, 2008, 12:44:55 AM
congrats on the new bike bruce...I sometimes miss my road king on the long rides...guess you've still got the light bikes...finally figured out who you are...almost flamed you other day 'cause I thought you were someone I didn't know lol

Don't let that stop you. :hyst:

Admiral Akbar

"I would be suspect about stock flow (226) supporting "

"What am I missing? I don't get the part about 135 cfm / 1.9 valve"

From what I see. Stock would be 204 corrected to 28 inches so getting 226 would be about a 10-12% increase.. It would be interest to see what the stock heads and TB flow together.

Might get up to 240... Well see.. 

"Don't let that stop you. Hysterical"

Amen to that  :wink: Max

PanHeadRed

>Stock would be 204 corrected to 28 inches,

You are correct, according to my data, stock 99-05 average about 200.

It should be interesting, I am anxious to see the results.

mark61

To answer the switch question, left switch is for auxiliary  what ever. There is a power wire in the nacelle for plugging something into that switch. Only works when the key is on or set to "aux".
   The windshield....several years ago I bought a "scratched" from some factory in Indiana? Illinois? Clear top and blue bottom. Scratched indeed but I wanted it for painting. Cost me a total of $30 including shipping.  Just can't remember the name....sorry.

mark61

Admiral Akbar

Got a blemed clearview shortened 2.5 inches and recurved for 120 to my door.. Damned if I can find the scratch...  :smilep: Max

HarleyFranco

Bruce,

Let us know what you think of the recurve windshield.

Thanks
Frank

Admiral Akbar

Well I'm not a windshield connoisseur, but I like it. 30 minutes to change and the shorter recurve puts the windshield lower without increasing the wind too much..  The recurve is so slight that you don't notice it as far as distortion goes... Max