April 30, 2024, 05:40:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ignition module test?

Started by 48pan, February 19, 2010, 01:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

How can you tell if lack of spark is the ignition module on a later shovel?
And or how can you test a coil?
I get no spark and no ohms resistance through either one.

rbonner

Coils on the primary will have about 3 ohms between the two terminals.  If there is ZERO its shorted out or if it is really high it is burned out.

Coil failure is VERY HIGH on HD failure lists.  Followed by overheated and failed modules.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

48pan

Thanks Bob. Now all I have to do is guess which one it might be. I hate to buy it if I don't need one

rbonner

Take one wire off the primary and check the coil with a VOM...

48pan

February 20, 2010, 07:14:41 AM #4 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:18:17 AM by 48pan
Thanks again Bob
With the ohm meter at  2K I get a .005 reading. With it the meter at 200 I get a 5.3 reading.
I'm no electrican, but that sounds promising. What do ya think?
Another piece of crutial info. When I found out I had no spark at the plugs, I hot wired it drictly to the coil. When that didn't work I hot wired it to the other side of the coil thinking maybe I was heating up the wrong side.
Could that have burnt out the ignition module?

48pan

February 20, 2010, 07:46:29 AM #5 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:11:51 AM by 48pan
I think my coil is good. I didn't have a Harley manual for late shovels. In a clymer manual it showed how to check the coil and I think it's good.
When I check the module I get 1.5 ohms between the 2 wires that come out of it.
Still no spark to the plugs
Wadda ya think? :scratch:

rbonner

The ignition system on a car or bike is actually pretty simple.  Basically in a nutshell the coil is powered on one end to 12V and the other end is bounced off ground to the beat of the music.

This is performed by points grounding or ungrounding the free end of the coil or by an electronic module grounding it when triggered by a trigger.

I wouldn't have had a module in the circuit while connecting 12 volts around, might have done damage.  BUt might not have.

5.3 ohms is a good primary  they usually are between 3 and 6.  The secondary could be bad too...

You could check that by having your Old Lady hold the end of a sparkplug wire and the other hand on the frame and by powering one end of the primary and grounding the other end.  I actually did this once.  Works good.

Just say oh, that wasn't supposed to do that.   :hyst:

BOB

MMOCGuy

February 20, 2010, 06:17:38 PM #7 Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:24:02 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
 :agree: It especially works good if she wants frizzy hair !

Norm.

48pan

Does anyone reconize this ignition. It's out of a 76 shovel and I can't find out what year it is to replace it '76 is supposed to have points.
Anyone?

xlfan

It is an aftermarket ignition for all nose cone engines, 70-99  and sportsters, 70-98. Dyna S had the design until others copied it a few years back. Dyna S may still be the most stable unit, and the most expensive. It is a dual-fire unit you have.

xlfan