April 27, 2024, 05:20:12 PM

News:

Opinions Top End, Starter, Alternator cont....

Started by tinkerman, November 02, 2008, 05:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambush and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tinkerman

OK Folks,

Started this on the old site, I was looking for opinions on components for freshening up my top end and breathing new life in my starter and alternator. ( I am running an 88 Heritage Classic)

So far the concensus has been James base gasgets, Harley Lifters (I can get different types of Harley ones can't I?) Cometic Head and top end seals, Hastings rings, the Hayden oil fix, and 94+ cylinder studs.

Someone suggested a Cycle Electric 32 amp alternator/regulator kit. (I want to run some heated gear) Do I need a heavier battery with the heavier alternator. Anyother suggestions for alternators?

And should I gut the starter or just replace the starter drive. It grinds every now and then. It has a good battery and good electrical connections with and an extra ground.

I know it's a lot of questions in one post. The more opinions the better.

Thanks,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Trip

Change the ring and pinion to 84/9 (Rivera) on the starter issue...keep the throttle closed when starting...it should be fine...i,d go with the largest Alternator and Regulator you can afford for heated gear...use the HD AGP battery. ...

tinkerman

November 03, 2008, 04:42:57 AM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:47:10 AM by tinkerman
Bumping this back to the top.

I'd like to have a few more opinions if some more of you would chime in. Would like to get this stuff ordered so chip in some more ideas.

Thanks trip for the ring and pinion idea.

Thanks in advance for more suggestions,

verson22

Ditto on the H-D battery.  I'm not a big fan of the dealership, however that was the best $100 I spent on my shovel.

baldoldfxr

I've used James gaskets throughout my topend before & no leaks or problems, upping the alternator would be a good move as early ones dont pump out much espcialy if you are adding any load to the system, hastings rings seem to be a safe bet,dont know about the starter motor I'm still on my original alough I have reconditioned it -cleaned commutator,new brushes etc, you can use a different battery if you uprate the alternator but they need to be matched.

Phu Cat

Cycle Electrics are the hot tip for stator and voltage regulator.  Two year warranty also.

You won't need a bigger battery just cuz the alternator puts out more juice.  Once the battery's charged, the current goes to ground.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

tinkerman

Thanks very much for this so far. My parts list is starting to get a little more solid.

Buddy WMC

Tinkerman,
Under "A new type of engine build" in the old forum is my chronology and results from installing a Revolution Performance 85" kit in my 93 FXLR. You can go a little less aggressive that I did, but the parts are top notch and reliable. Check with Compufire as I believe they offer a 38amp upgrade kit, but am not sure of the year ranges offered. Genuine James gaskets and double lipped seals everywhere except for the head gaskets (Cometic) and primary gaskets (Cometic), they really are reusable. I'm sold on V-Thunder Velvetouch lifters, lifetime warranty through Revolution Performance. You also might check on your electrics with Accel and Ultima. Can't beat their Thunderfire starter for the money if available for your year.

As others may have suggested, try to update as much as you can. Good luck with your upgrades

tinkerman

November 20, 2008, 06:44:04 AM #8 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:47:35 AM by tinkerman
Hey Buddy,

Read your thread on the old site.

Interesting read and glad the rebuild went well for you.

I won't likely get at the Heritage until the February what with the work schedule and xmas around the corner. As well just finishing off a revamp of my shop space.

Looking forward to it though; enjoy keeping the old girl as current as lively as possible.

Appreciate the input,

Tink

ironhorse

Dittos on Cycle Electric. I replaced rotor, stator and voltage regulator with Cycle Electric parts 8 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

Hillside Motorcycle

THE ONLY, electrical replacement parts we stock are Cycle Electric.
Been though all the rest.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"