May 04, 2024, 03:34:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What would you do?

Started by SeaHag, December 01, 2008, 09:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHag

A friend of mine is asking for advice, and I haven't been following the advancements of the last couple years so closely.

My friend is riding a 2001 Screaming Eagle FLTRI. Currently runs the stock build with the new SERT for magneto morelli and Rhinehart true duals.

His motor has 60,000 on it though and started making a slight funny noise, so he's having some work done...Budget is max of $2500.00

He's planning just a cleanup and slight overbore of his 95"...but looking for recommendations in head work and gear drive cams for good pull, with the occasional trailering duties on long trips.

When I was doing this homework for myself a few years ago, all the rage was the Woods TW-6 and TW-6HG, as well as the Headquarters 34 I believe...with somewhat less praise for the Andrews and S&S offerings. Money was a major factor for me; so I went with Andrews and got a great package price through an online vendor. My friend has more than double the budget I was working with though, so the 'premium' brands are on the table.

So please, let me hear your thoughts...and THANKS

Riding Style As Defined By The Rider
very little 2-up. It would not be a factor. Do pull that damn trailer but that tends to be once a year.
Very very seldom does this bike see the rev limiter. Maybe, literally, 3-4 times in its life. Hitting the rev limiter is a pilot mistake IMHO. It “sees” red line only occasionally.
When I am on twisties I am frustrated when the engine is not “right there” coming out of a turn. I certainly do extended highway jaunts. Seems to me like a cam that gives up at 3500 â€" 4000 would NOT be a problem.
Having said that I tend to keep my rpm higher than the next guy. I’m usually a gear lower that others when riding twisty roads. Much more control of decal and accel. Like you (I think) I tend to think most riders lug their engines. I don’t. But I don’t think I abuse it either.
On balance I’d rather have a cam that gives up at 4000 than kicks in at 4000.
There's nothing better than riding with friends!

Hillside Motorcycle

Get the heads set up to correct the exhaust port, etc,etc,. Install a Wood 6 @ 10:1
Bore/hone, lifters,tune, smile while riding.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"