April 30, 2024, 01:14:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

work bench

Started by hotham, December 01, 2008, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

Last year I needed a bench,  so being a cheap bastard, this is what I did.  I got a piece of 3/4"plywood and 2 cabinets {cheap}.  I then fitted the plywood to the cabinets and secured them to the  wall.  Painted the plywood and put a vice on one end.  Works great and I didn't have to build a 2x4 support for the bench.  2 weeks ago I cut a section out of the center.  I put my chop saw on the lowered piece on top of a small refrigerator under the bench top.  Now I can cut wood ,sliding it down the bench.  The chop saw top is even with the main bench top.  I have maybe $100 invested and it works great.  I also have a piece of plywood, that if needed, can make the bench even all the way down. {removing the saw, of course].  I shopped around and found there 2 Coleman cabinets on sale for $35 each.  They support the top and allow nice storage underneath.  Just an idea!

JamLazyAss

THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS...   :pop:

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

PoorUB

My main work bench is a couple of metal base cabinets I rescued from the dump, and a chunck of formica counter top, also scavanged from a dumpster. The last counter top lasted me 10 years before I could not stand it any more so I beroke down and bought a "new" counter top at a surplus store for $25 to replace it.
I also have a old solid core door and a couple saw horses I use for a temporay bench. Good and solid, and it will hold anything I can get on it!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

~JC~

THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

And ten times as much memory.  :hyst:~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.