May 02, 2024, 10:08:17 AM

News:

73 HEADS

Started by ricochet, February 23, 2010, 08:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

I scored a pair of two plug heads in good condition except for one exhaust flange and what might be deep valve pockets.  What I'm wondering is whether these castings had valve seats to begin with because they don't appear to now.  Looks like big valves were used into virgin cast material rather than into seats.  I'll try to take a pic tonight.  Looks like I should have new seats fit for new valves. 

ricochet

olpigiron

ricochet,
    I Might Be Talking Out of My Arse, And If I Am, I'm Sure Someone Will Let Me know.
        I Don't Believe They Had The Hardened Pressed in Seats For Unleaded Fuel.
U Can Have The Old Valve Seats Machined Out, and Have New Hardened Seats Pressed In.
                          Then Grind The New Seats For Your New Valves.
                                       Don't Know If This Helps? 
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

ricochet

That's the rout I'm taking with putting in new valve seats. I still can't tell by looking at them if there are seats in there or not.  From the way they're so well blended into the ports I'd say not but pockets are pretty deep on one head.  I took pics but they are lousy.

ricochet

ricochet

I'm going to be talking to a couple of shops about doing the seats and fitting guides and new valves.  How do they determine the normal location of the seat relative to the chamber?  Is it necessary to have new guides in first?  I'm trying to determine the series of events if guides need to be sized to the holes first, then seats, finally the valves to all that?  Thinking about oversize intakes also.  Please fill me in.  Heads are already ported.

ricochet

da-grunt

Ironhead seats were cut direct into head material,(no inserts) get the guides done then unleaded seats an they will last onother 40 years. A good head shop will do this and set up valve installed heights and spring pressures.
  Cheers, Davo.
BRISBANE, (BRISVEGAS) QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA,
  You know; DOWN-UNDER