May 07, 2024, 03:34:58 AM

News:

Power adder - Boyesen Power X Wing?

Started by 03deuce, December 01, 2008, 01:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03deuce

A couple of my riding buddies have this product on their bikes and are bragging about the results.  Have not seen this item discussed on HTT, but maybe I just missed it.  Anyone else tried the part?  Comments?  Feedback?

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/V-TWIN/Products

hdpegscraper

December 01, 2008, 02:27:39 PM #1 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:20:56 PM by hdpegscraper
On the old site, Black Hills Ken did a nice dyno before and after test, maybe about spring time?  As I recall, the test bikes' overall power was similar. Dont recall the details of the test bike. Maybe someone saved and can post the comparison.   

03deuce

scraper,
thanks for the info.  I found this discussion using the search feature.  No mention of better throttle response?

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/tc88fathead.msnw/tc88fathead.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=1344673

wfolarry

Another one of those items that looks fast & does nothing. save your money.

tireater

Reminds me of when I put a Tornado air spinner in a Hypercharger...Seemed better on butt dyno...
A real dyno set me straight...There seemed to be almost no improvement...
It got me +2mpg on my Toyota truck but didn't seem to help my Harley...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

TAD

They do indeed work! They do exactly what they were made to do. Suck the money out of people's wallets!

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

mrmike

Another one of those items that looks fast & does nothing. save your money

Yup
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

blackhillsken

December 02, 2008, 05:39:16 AM #8 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:41:06 AM by blackhillsken
Yes, I did do back to back dyno runs with and without the X Wing on two different bikes ('04 FLHT mild 95" and '02 Dyna 88" stock carbs).  Very closely tested with engine temps identical and multiple runs.
I found no improvement in wide open throttle power.  You could overlay the before and after dyno pulls and almost not know there were two on the graph.
The '04 FLHT was first, and after the WOT runs, I figured "snake oil" as has been said.   BUT........ after the WOT runs on the Dyna, I made a throttle stop for the carb and did some part throttle runs to see if there were any gains to be had during regular street driving (where people would claim more "throttle response").  To my surprise, the X Wing resulted in close to 3 horse and 3 lbs. torque at part throttle.
Ater that, I reinstalled the Wing on my '04 FLHT for some street testing and the bike does feel snappier and I'm getting 8-10% more gas mileage.  I'm keeping it on.  I did not change any jets.

A little more on the Dyna test;  The bike is owned by a friend who works for Thunder Press.  The deal was for me to do the free dyno testing for an upcoming article in Thunder Press about the X Wing.  I would get the free press recognition for the tests.  Well, I guess my results were not as spectacular as they wanted, so, lo and behold, when the article came out, someone else had tested it and found more power and torque at wide open throttle!  Hmmmm, guess I must have missed something........... TWICE.
I do like the product however,  and I'd toss it out if it didn't work well on my bike.

Keep in mind that on all these before and after test dyno runs you see in magazines promoting some miracle product, that if you run a bike for five minutes on a dyno and do a base run, you'd probably get more power without doing anything at all if you just kept warming up the motor, trans, and primary with additional runs (you know.....like after you install the new product  :wink:).
Ken

ricochet

I would think with the reputation Boyesen has in reed valves for sleds, off road and performance 2 strokes that it would hold some merit.  Maybe not like adding NOS but also not snake oil.  Thanks for the actual real test data.

ricochet

calif phil

I installed one on my bike and I am very skeptical of such products. If it wasn't for Boysen's reputation I would not have even tried it. I do think my bike runs better. I am going to leave it on.  With a money back warranty what do you have to lose?

blackhillsken

"If it wasn't for Boysen's reputation I would not have even tried it. I do think my bike runs better. I am going to leave it on."

Agreed.  Their reputation is the only reason I even bothered to look at this product.
Ken

03deuce

Appreciate all the input guys.  Ken, very detailed info, as usual.  Glad you added some input on part throttle operation.  That's what my two friend were bragging about.  At 129.95 a pop, not sure I'm going to run out and buy one today, but if it has a money back guarantee, the only thing would be the shipping and return shipping, if it didn't work as advertised.

frito1

Cycle World did an evaluation in the August issue.  They got 1.2 hp & 1.8 tq increase in back to back testing on a '07 FLHTC.  For the price it'd be hard to justify.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

blackhillsken

Don't forget......... wide open throttle runs don't tell you about possible gains in the less-than-wide-open areas (where roughly 90% of riding is done).
I'd say that if you are the type of rider that leaves a stop light smoking the tire and rides it like you stole it 100% of the time,  save your money & don't buy it.
Ken