April 28, 2024, 03:48:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacement ignition switch?

Started by fxstc91, December 01, 2008, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstc91

I'm looking to replace the flaky POS ignition switch on my '91 softail custom, but I'm not sure what kind of switch to get. (why are even the simplest things so complicated?)
It seems my choices are:

- HD OEM switch
- Converted HD newer style 3-terminal switch?
- Aftermarket "heavy duty" version of the original pole-to-bar contact ignition switch
- Aftermarket electronic switch.. same as above, but electronic instead of pole-to-bar. Claims to be highly corrosion and vibration resistant.
- Same as above but with a round key. (Why would round key be better or worse?)

Anybody have some insight here?

Thanks!

60pan

I might be able to answer the part about the round key. I think they are a lot harder to pick. I know the flat key on my 92 FLHS is a POS. A guy showed me how he could unlock my bike with just a thin piece of metal once. Been carryin a chain ever since.

ramv102000

I'm sure the OEM switch is discontinued. The switch along with the dash indicator bulbs have been discontinued for my 94 Wide Glide. I have just about given up getting EVO parts from the dealer, luckily the after market has  everything i need.

Randy
Randy

Evo160K

Go to the HD three-prong switch with round key.  There's an hd base that snaps on to the switch to bring it up even with your dash.  If you can't find that base just fabricate one with four screws and nuts.  Use the attached wiring diagram.  One of the best upgrades I've made.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

riden2low

Go with Guard Dog keyless. No one can start your bike unless you are with in 10 feet of the bike.

fxstc91

Turns out the HD OEM switch is not discontinued for my bike, and is readily available. So I picked one up from my local dealer.

Thanks for the input!

psyco369

convert it to round key 3 wire .....its easy and works 100% better :beer:

fxstc91

What is better about the 3-wire switch?

Anybody know the part numbers for the switch and the "base"?  The dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it.

Evo160K

One of the switch numbers is 71501-93.  I'm not sure if it includes the base and I don't know the base number.  I had trouble identifying the base, but the dealer, after some trouble, was able to get it, it's a harley item.  If you can't find a base you can use some screws, nuts and washers to raise the switch to where you need it.

It's better because you don't have the six screws and wires to come loose or break and you don't have that pos cover rattling and looking, well, cheap.