May 04, 2024, 09:30:17 PM

News:

Outgrown my FuelPak

Started by Coff 06, December 01, 2008, 04:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coff 06

For the last 2yrs I have been using A V&H FuelPak with good results.Now,V&H have NO maps for my new build.So I am in the market for A new tuner,trying to stay in the $500. range as that's all I have the $$$ for.Should I be looking at SERT,or something else? I know the choices are endless,thats why I put my price limit on here,TIA    Coff 06

06 FXSTSI,SE download,SE air
Python3 Tapered Staggered Duals
Stock 06 heads,and EFI
98" w/11/1 pistons
SE 251 cams
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Billy

May I suggest a powercommander. It's in your price range and lots of canned maps for you to try if you don't have $ for a dyno tune. It's not too difficult to work with if you have some basic knowledge of what your engine wants and you can work the butt-crack dyno.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Coff 06

My brother has a PCIII on his 07 and maybe thats where I will end up,but kind of looking for something else.     Coff 06

Billy

You might be able to find a used thundermax for less than 5Cs or new for 7-800 from a discounter. I installed one for a friend a few months ago, it works well.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

tireater

Had a similar situation with a Dobeck 1340 ST on my St Bob...the tuner said it was maxed out...
Switched to a SERT and got +8hp just with a redyno tune...I have both and like the SERT...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Coff 06

I think my problem is I've wanted a SERT all along and wasn't taken by my brothers PCIII enough to buy one.   Coff 06

Dennis The Menace

SERT with dyno tune, or T-Max.  T-Max I got on eBay for $600.00.  Works well, and cheaper than SERT/dyno.  I suppose I could dyno and tune the map on T-Max, but probably would not gain much to make it worth the $200-300.00 dyno time it costs here in Denver.

With T-max, I can make changes to setup without needing dyno time or even a new map.  Cant say that for a SERT, but if you dont plan any more changes, then SERT is cost effective.

menace

TXChop

What does your local dyno tuner feel more comfortable with?

Ultra1

I recently sold my '06 FXSTi and still have the PCIII from it.  The PCIII was installed in March and I sold the bike in July so it's virtually new.  Itoriginally was mapped for Stage 1 Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and a SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust however the PCIII is fully programmable.  If you're interested in it contact me off-line and I will make you a hell of a deal on it.

eddfive

There are many software tuning choices.  I always prefer tuning the Delphi ECU directly.  The best bang for the buck is Direct Link plus a dyno tune.  This combination should be very close to your price range.  Go to www.technoresearch.com to research it.  It tunes exactly like SERT but much easier on the wallet.

Coff 06

December 02, 2008, 01:43:36 PM #10 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:11:07 PM by Coff 06
I see on Dennis Kirk,Thundermax has a replacement ECM without O2s,ect,that is programmable for my 06 for about $500.Has anyone tried this?This is the open loop type. TIA             coff 06

wolf_59

Have you looked at the TTS-Mastertune, Made by the same guy that made the SERT's for the MOCO
on the old site there were several members playing around with setting up their pre-closed loop bikes to closed loop operation with this system. Check with Herko he can help you out with pricing and info

Scoudoddles

I am interested if you still have it for sale.  My e-mail is rickrr@charter.net

se

JD's cycleworks got some brand new TTS Master TTune for sale .
1-610-297-0321
i thing they are like 400 bucks. may be a little less.
give him a call the thing i like is he is a trained tuner (by Doc) for them and he can also answer your questions and probley set you up with a map for your  bike.
ask for Dave
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

FLTRI

A Power Comamnder and proper tune will be more than enough to make your bike run as good as it can. If you intend to venture into high compression builds in the future the TTS Matertune (SERT) would be hands down my recomendation.
You have an 06 softail. It is not closed loop, so no O2 sensors to deal with.

Some members find the T-max to be a satifactory solution to not finding a good tuner in their area. If this is what you want to opt for look on eBay and online flea market sales like here to get a decent price on a used take-off. Used T-max's seem to be becoming more available now that so many have been sold.

Installation is fairly straight forward be replacing the Delphi system with T-max and wiring, sensors, and appropriate base mapping to start you down the road to closed loop fuel injection.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

nightmare7306

I am also in the market. Why is the TTS better for hi comp and what do you consider to be hi comp?

FLTRI

Quote from: nightmare7306 on December 02, 2008, 05:24:03 PM
I am also in the market. Why is the TTS better for hi comp and what do you consider to be hi comp?
The reason I prefer TTS (SERT) over PowerCommander is for the timing control. The TTS adjusts timing based on load/RPM rather than TP/RPM, so with high compresasion engines I can run the timing much more aggressive for better throttle response and fuel mileage, then when the load gets high the MAP sensor sends a signal to the ECM that will cause the timing to adjust/retard for the increased load as well as detect and adjust for detonation. The PC only adjusts based on TP/RPM so there is no way to predict and adjust based on load. What this means is the tuner has to tune timing for highest load (worse case) all the time, otherwise when temp/loads get high the engine detonates. As a last note, the PC will only allow 10degs retard so if the compression is high enough there is not enough headroom to compensate.
I consider anything over 10:1 on 91 octane/10+% ethanol high compression for touring models.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open