May 03, 2024, 08:26:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Cam cam chain tensioner

Started by heavyhitter, December 01, 2008, 06:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyhitter

I have heard that the cam chain tensioner mechanism is a weak point on the twin cam.  I have a 2006 FLH with 14,000 miles. Bought it new, so  I know the history (all of it). Anyway question is have any seen these wear out at very low miles? If so how low?

Dont want to be overly concerned, but if it requires inspection better now than after it is reduced to flakes.

Thanks   

Billy

I've seen'em worn slap ass out at 17,000 mi.

You may want to think about checking them.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

mrmike

HH, You'll read stories that they have crapped out at less than 15,000 and look like new at over 60,000. The advise I got here was to check at 20,000 I did and they were fine.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

longshooter

I have done them at various mileages. Probably the worst was at about 22K. The outer was still
acceptable but the inner was worn down into the metal. If you plan to do these yourself, the outer can easily be
changed on the bike, The inner however, requires removal of the support plate/cams. I have replaced the inners
without removing the cams from the support plate but it does take some effort.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

tireater

I think how long they last has something to do with how much runout you have....Long life = min. runout...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

cowboy

I have 56k on my 03 FLHTPI never have checked them , (I'am doing this winter) but have seen them go out as low as 14-15 k it as some think to do with how & when you change & what type dino or syc & how hard you ride
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

JYHD1

I went with a little hotter cam in my 01 RK at about 32,000k and had the tensioners replaced as long as it was apart
but they really didn't show much wear. The boys at the local HD shop said that they recommend replacement at
30,000. Said they had a bike in a couple of weeks earlier that went metal to metal at around 60,000 and pretty much
destroyed the motor. They said that of course they have also heard all the horror stories about low mileage failures but that they really hadn't seen any and they are a real busy shop.

I also had the tensioners checked on our 06' Heritage at 11,000k and they showed very little wear. I think it's probably
a pretty good idea to get them checked if for nothing other than the peace of mind it will give you that you aren't
going to have metal shaving eating up you motor !

flht99b

The tensioners I just took out of my '03 Ultra were very good ( replaced them as I was installing a new cam ). Based on the wear I had I believe mine would have gone 30K + miles without a problem.  Ed M.

Lamar07

indy told me not to down shift to slow down bike said it made a big difference

egstandard

December 02, 2008, 06:01:35 AM #9 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:24:50 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Here's mine at 33,000 miles. Amsoil since new, always wait for bike to warm up, ridden hard but never beaten.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

02 EG 95" Carb WT Crusher 118hp/108tq

wood02

December 04, 2008, 06:39:40 AM #11 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:56:26 AM by wood02
Replaced mine @31,000. Amsoil since break in.  Inner tensioner was just about to become metal to metal.  Outer was about half worn.  My wife was the one that heard the sewing machine sound from the tensioner.

egstandard

Wow,that inner one was really bad. Let me try to dig up a picture of my inner.

cheetah

04 Fat Boy, changed them out at 30k miles. Had very little wear, but showed pitting.
C
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

2001FLSTC

Just looked at mine tonight on my Heritage.  24,000 miles and hadn't looked yet but been wondering.  Neither the inner or outer were that bad.  A bit pitted but not much wear.....both were about the same.  I didn't change them (the inner would be a lot of work anyways).

Will check again at around 40,000 miles.  By then I may have done something with the cams anyways so then I'd change.

I thought they would be worse than I saw.

Overcamber

does anyone else manufacture tensioners these besides H-D?
Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !

egstandard

Big Cahuna

Planning a cam change soon and gonna change'm out while I'm in there. It would suck to have to go back in in 6 months or so.,,

Hawg Holler

The majority of cam chain tensioners last 35,000 miles or more. I checked mine at 32,000 and they were half worn. People who make money installing geared cam drives will tell you that all of them are failing but it's BS. Cam chain tensioners are listed as a wear item in the service manual. The only problem is that Harley doesn't mention when they are supposed to be checked and apparently doesn't list them in the service interval literature. I would check at 30,000 miles. There are literally hundreds of threads on cam tensioners on this and other forums and there is a lot of myth and misinformation involved for reasons stated above. Be wary of people who tell you you need gear drive cams for "piece of mind." It's like having your appendix removed because it may rupture someday.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

slightly irregular

swapped out my tensioners on my 02 road king at 29,000 miles. Similar to other posts outer was 50%, inner nearly gone. I agree with Hog Holler's post regarding misinformation, however, while I was in there it made sense to me to go with gear drive as I was going to add a slighter hotter cam. More $$ but now it will be one less "wear item" in the future.  

hogmandon

was chasing a sqealing noise that comes and goes coming from cam chest at 38,000 0n 06 RG and tensioners were in realy good shape, still can't figure out the noise.

Trolling10

You can check and make sure but I think that in 06 and went to diff. system, change the chain(went to roller chain[/color]),  changed gears, tensioners(from spring to hyd), diff oil pump.  Check with dealer to verify

RevJim708

My outer tensioner looked real good but my inner tensioner was 50% worn out @ 7500 miles. Replaced cam and inner tensioner. Then at 37,000 miles changed cam again and inner was worn more than 50% again. Outer still looked real good. I went to gear drive cause I had .0015 run out. Now I don't have an excuse to change cams. (You now, while I'm in there, might as well change to a different cam).
Rev Jim............

Hawg Holler

Quote from: Trolling10 on December 07, 2008, 09:46:11 AM
You can check and make sure but I think that in 06 and went to diff. system, change the chain(went to roller chain[/color]),  changed gears, tensioners(from spring to hyd), diff oil pump.  Check with dealer to verify

Harley went to roller chains and hydraulic cam tensioners on all Twin Cams in 07. The only exception being that the 06 Dynas had the new setup.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

Bakon

Quote from: Hawg Holler on December 06, 2008, 10:19:43 PM
The majority of cam chain tensioners last 35,000 miles or more. I checked mine at 32,000 and they were half worn. People who make money installing geared cam drives will tell you that all of them are failing but it's BS. Cam chain tensioners are listed as a wear item in the service manual. The only problem is that Harley doesn't mention when they are supposed to be checked and apparently doesn't list them in the service interval literature. I would check at 30,000 miles. There are literally hundreds of threads on cam tensioners on this and other forums and there is a lot of myth and misinformation involved for reasons stated above. Be wary of people who tell you you need gear drive cams for "piece of mind." It's like having your appendix removed because it may rupture someday.

I agree with what you say, but...another reason is hi performance cams and the drag the old set up caused. I changed mine at 10 miles on the new bike. Didn't ride it at all, but I also went to a different cam and BB. The old bike 20,000 and changed to gear, worm about half but I would have changed them instead of running the second half. Who know how long the second half is when it is already going bad.
wasting time