April 30, 2024, 01:44:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

04 1200 C Emission controls

Started by SteveH, February 28, 2010, 06:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveH

Hello all, I'm fairly new to your forum. Well, that's not true. Actually, I've been around for a little while without posting. Seems like a nice forum, with a lot of knowledgeable good guys. I've got a question, any and all help would be much appreciated. I own an '04 1200C. I'm curious to know what type of emission controls are on my bike. I'm currently running Screamin' Eagle II slipons, but would like to step it up this spring. I'm going for a full pipe set up. My question is this - Do I have an 02 sensor? Are there any computer controls on this engine? I'm being told to watch what I install, because I could confuse the "computer" and cause more bad than good. I was under the impression that in '04 the 1200C was 100% mechanical, (right down to my carb) with no 02 sensor, cat-converters, computers, or anything of the sort. Can someone set me straight? It becomes frustrating when I want to purchase an exhaust system and the guy at the counter knows it will physically fit my bike, but isn't sure if it was designed for a later model with more stringent emission standards/computer controls. Remember, any and all info (even the most basic) is greatly appreciated. -Steve

mayor

Quote from: SteveH on February 28, 2010, 06:57:17 AM
I own an '04 1200C. I'm curious to know what type of emission controls are on my bike.
I'm almost certain that Sportsters didn't come with an EFI option until 2007, so you should have a CV carburetor (look for a choke knob and fuel shut off featuring reserve). Carb bikes do not come with O2 sensors.  The main way that HD tackled emission requirements on carb bikes was by running them lean (except California bikes).  Your bike has an electronic ignition system, but it is totally separate from the fuel system.  If your bike is designed for the People's Republic of Kaliforniya....you probably have some sort of emission canister.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Panzer

February 28, 2010, 08:37:01 AM #2 Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:39:05 AM by Panzer
A+ for Mayor.
Just to confirm, an 07', that's the first year for fuel injection on the sporty.
He's correct again, no oxygen sensors till the 07'.
With the installation of full piping, I'd put it on a dyno after the pipes are installed, just to get the full HP, from your efforts & $$.
Just saying & my .02.
Good luck with her and happy smiles.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

SteveH

February 28, 2010, 09:07:51 AM #3 Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:10:21 AM by SteveH
Thank you for the responses, they indicate just as I thought. I purchased the bike new, and do recall that fuel injection was not an option. I'm assuming that I basically have no emission controls, o2 sensor, or anything of the sort. Meaning I can vent my exhaust gasses as I choose, without concern of a "computer" malfunction, plugged cat-converter, etc. Being that my carb is run on the "lean" side to reduce emissions, if I open up the intake & exhaust, could I "richen" up the carb for more power? Just a thought... Thanks again, Steve. Oh, and my bike is a Pennsylvania model, no CA issues here.

mayor

Quote from: SteveH on February 28, 2010, 09:07:51 AM
Oh, and my bike is a Pennsylvania model.....

the replies came from PA models too.  I happen to be a hand model...I can't say what Panzer usually models, but I think it has something to do with lingerie

I'm not sure what jets come in your carb...You may be able to just unplug the air/fuel mixture and richen up the pilot circuit by turing it out.  If you have a 42 pilot jet now, I would bump that up to a 45.  Your main jet my be fine...

Bigs

Usually for a Stage I the low jet is 45 and the high 185 with SE aircleaner and SE II mufflers. This is for 2004-2006 1200 Sportsters.
   Bigs

Panzer

Steve,
You'll find out fast who your friends are and I won't mention Mr. Mayor's name here.  :hyst:
You'll do fine steve, if you follow the suggestions given.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

SteveH

Panzer - Thanks for the "heads up". I wasn't sure how to take that remark, I figured it was either a feeble attempt at humor, or a direct shot taken at me. Or, hopefully just a thought that didn't sound as it was meant to in text. I'm fairly new here, and as I mentioned previously there seems to be quite a few friendly, knowledgeable guys on this forum. The last thing I want to do is look for/find trouble with anyone. In fact, I'll bring this to light from the get-go - My bike is not as nice as anyone elses', nor is it faster, shinier, etc. I used incorrect terminology when I referred to my bike as a "Pennsylvania model", but that's because I'm also not the smartest guy on here. When I see remarks like that, I picture a socially-inept guy in his 40's, still living at home with his mom wearing tighty-whities, slippers and nothing else while sitting in her basement picking fights with people over a computer screen. But I'm sure that's not the case here.

mayor

Quote from: SteveH on March 01, 2010, 05:38:56 AM
Panzer - Thanks for the "heads up". I wasn't sure how to take that remark, I figured it was either a feeble attempt at humor, or a direct shot taken at me.

no offense meant towards you.  I'm guessing you must not have got the premise of what I was trying to say  :embarrassed:  ....I was just trying to let you know that Panzer and I hail from PA too.   For that matter, Bigs is a PA boy as well. 

As for the rest of your comments.....sorry I wear colored scutchies, not tighty whities.

SteveH

Mayor - I apologize. I wasn't sure if you were being genuine, or deliberately attempting to insult me. A misunderstanding of words on my part. I did sound pretty stupid when I called my bike a "PA model", and got a little angry when I thought you were trying to get a laugh at my expense out of it. I sincerely do apologize, and hope we can put that behind us. What part of our country's most beautiful state are you from? I'm from Philly, have family all over the southeastern part of the state, even some up in Tioga & Potter counties. -Steve

mayor

Quote from: SteveH on March 02, 2010, 08:04:37 AM
Mayor - I apologize. I wasn't sure if you were being genuine, or deliberately attempting to insult me.

no, not you...Panzer actually.  But he's used to it.   :teeth:  I was just playing on your words of PA model, but there really is a California Model.   :wink:

I'm from Bedford County, Bigs is from around Gettysburg, and Panzer is somewhere in the SE I think (although quite a bit east of me is all I know for sure) . 

Bigs

Bigs is from York but lived in Paoli until 21 years old. Used to hang out on the main line near Philly.
   Bigs

mayor

york....gettysburg      tomato....  tom ot toe

hey, I was close.   :teeth: