May 05, 2024, 01:00:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2001 TwinCam 88 EFI idling high

Started by watamix, December 01, 2008, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watamix

Hello all...

Sorry, I'm no mechanic, so here's what's probably a very dumb question....

I'm also a loser for not keeping my battery on a battery tender. I haven't ridden for a few months now.

So yesterday when I went to start up my 2001 FLTRI, the battery was dead.
I put a charger on it overnight, and today it's back up to proper voltage, so I started it up.
Once it started, it revved up to about 2000 rpm and stayed there.
Hitting the throttle only made it rev higher and return to idle at about 2000.

I'm hoping someone reading this can tell me what I can do to get it to idle properly again.

Thanks ever so much!

cowboy

thers a sencer in the rear of the front cyl heat sencer if it's bad it will cauce the high idel also double check the rod that holds the butterfly in the throat of you efi mine did this & it was broke in the middle of the screw hole on the left side , I found it be taking the idel control of the left sode of the EFI , also when's the last time you lube your T cables?
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

watamix

thanks for the suggestions, Cowboy

I'll have to check those things... I think it's been a while since the throttle cables were lubed...

Bakon

Take it for a ride. The old MM injection 99-01 was finicky. A ride sometimes will fix the problem in the first couple of minutes. I am not kidding.
The idle should be about 950-1100. 1000 or more is best. Below that it will eat the battery when sitting at idle. Charge the battery, take it for a ride.
Has it been wet lately- wash, rain. The sensors hate water too and will act up until dry. As a last resort, very last, in the front of the dual intake runners is a small hole, way down deep in that hole is an idle adjustment which is supposed to be turned only when hooked to a scanalizer to a proper voltage is shown. It can be turned with a very small torx bit. But I would look elsewhere first, especially since it idled fine before sitting. Bikes rarely break sitting except battery charge stuff.
Also check that your idle arm is moving, the MM uses a small motor to push the arm in and out for cold/hot starts. When you get ready to start, just before hitting the starter button but after the ignition is on / run switch on, the arm will move out -then in. Maybe you lost the arm. I lost one. Cant buy just the arm, have to get the complete kit with actuator motor. Around $120.00 if I remember correctly.
Good luck
wasting time

Justpassingas

to quote the dealer "ITS NORMAL" ....my EFI RK does that for no apparent reason every once in awhile too but always returns to a normal idle after a good ride when I shut it off and restart it later....but then again I ride it every day
For Duty and Humanity

watamix

Thanks for the replies!

justpassingas-
I hope your dealer is right! I'll take it for a ride today to find out...

SHO-
I think I'll stay away from the idle adjustment... sounds like something for a REAL mechanic!
But that idle arm... that sounds interesting... now I just have to figure out where it is!

Thanks again!!

Valley

If you have a way to data log your cold start up,watch your stepper motor and head temp sensor. The stepper motor stays open till the head temp reaches 250-260 degrees.You can try a temp gun, take your reading near the sparkplug not on it just next to it.  :wink9: ( just be sure you have no air leaks)

Bakon

The stepper motor moves the arm, which moves the butterfly. Its easy to see, take off air cleaner, or look around it towards the front of the bike, right on the throttle body. Turn ignition on, then cycle the run/off switch a few times, you will see it move.
Another idea is to reset the ECm, remove the two fuses near it, the fuel pump and the other fuse, for about 10-15 minutes, put them back in and start the bike. It will relearn the idle sequence.
wasting time

watamix

SHO-

I think resetting the ecm did the trick!

I did that, and all is good now!

Thanks again!

cowboy

wayamix sorry I did'nt read your bike year right the advice I gave was for the little newer delphy system  :bf:
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX