May 05, 2024, 01:42:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wide Glide v. Softail

Started by aal, December 01, 2008, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

December 01, 2008, 09:25:05 PM Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:27:42 PM by aal
I've had a few softails in the past, and am now thinking of getting another one, but am also interested in the wide glide.  (An 06 or 07 if I can find one at a good price.)  I briefly rode a dyna sport once, but never a wide glide.  Can anyone enlighten me on the ride / handling differences between a softail and a wide glide?  Thanks.  Also, I know 06 was the first year of the six speed transmission.  Am I correct that they made some improvements to in in 07 or 08?  Anything serious enough to stay away from an 06?  Finally, am I correct that the 06 and 07 dynas don't have the 02 sensors?

JYHD1

can't really tell you anything about the wide glide but I do have an 06' softail Heritage. They were still 5 spd in 06' and
the TC88 motor. 6spd and 96" motor in 07'. For my type of riding, mostly backroads at 55-60mph, I prefer the 5spd
and the TC88 responded much better to performance inprovements than did our 08' Road King. The 6spd is geared quite
high and would be great if you like to ride the superslabs at 80+mph. The Heritage seems to handle a little better
and rides just as smooth as the RK and with the counter balanced motor it has a lot less noticeable shake at low speeds.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever one you decide on, plus the fun of looking.

John

Coff 06

06 Dyna's have 6spd and 07 style cam tensioners,not 06 softails(5spd)              Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

aal

Thanks John.  If I'm not mistaken though, I think the dyna's had the 6 speed in 06, with the other bikes getting them in 07.  Also, I forgot that the 07 bikes got the 96 inch motor.  I had a couple of 88's that I put the 95 inch cylinders, with cams, on, and it did make a nice difference. 

RK101

All things being equal as far as motor and trans. I owned a Softail Std and put quite a few miles on a Dyna wide glide. The wide glide is a much better handling bike over the Softail Std IMO. The Softail IMO is a better looking bike and there are much better choices in exhaust. There both great bikes.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

taz95dog

morning,seems like on the old site there was an "engine running hot problem" on the '07.i've had 2 dyna's and one softtail(fatboy)they are both nice.what i like about the softtail is it feels like i'm sitting down in the bike.on the dyna's it was more sitting up high on it.plus it seems alot of wideglides i've noticed have had an aftermarket brace on the front forks.do they handle bad without it? but whatever you get it will be fun! good luck...taz... :up:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

calgary56

2006 changes
New single piece 46 mm throttle body
New fuel injectors
New fuel injector wire harness clips
Redesigned cylinder heads
Redesigned valve seals
O2 sensors with closed loop system
New engine cases with integral ooiol filter adapter
New cam plate
New hydraulic cam chain tensioners