May 01, 2024, 08:32:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How much room do you need to pull the heads in frame

Started by gryphon, December 01, 2008, 11:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Never pulled evo heads before. How much room do you need? Can it be done in frame?

Buddy WMC

What model bike?
We had to disconnect the front mount and drop the front of the engine on my FXR to have enough clearance.

seigles

Yes,might need cut-off allen head or drop motor mount. ( i did,1998 F.L.H.R.)

racerat

December 02, 2008, 07:17:18 AM #3 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:20:22 AM by racerat
for some softails:
With 1/2" play, between head and frame, it should work. Some softails have only this much clearance on the rear rocker box.
You might cut-off a hexagon Allen key to get to the rear left Allen bolt of the upper rocker box ( when there's no hole in the frame above this bolt). Then remove the 4 bolts, and try to remove the upper box while turning this a little bit over counterclockwise direction. If it is to narrow, you better remove the 3 Allen bolts and the 4 hex bolts holding the lower rocker box also, by moving the upper rocker box left and right from them to access. You have to tilt the boxes over on one side to remove the left rear bolt also. A good thing is to remove the pushrods and the rockershafts on this moment if necessary. This way you can remove the rocker boxes, starting with the upper one , one by one. After this you can remove the heads and cilinders if necessary.
To reinstall, work backwards, and let the tappets bleed while fastening lower rocker box. :smile: success.
Best Regards,
Fil
49% MotherFucker / 51% Son Of A Bitch (Motorhead-Legion)

gryphon

Thanks guys. It's a 4 speed frame with about the same room as a softail. I've had the rocker boxes off before (2 piece S&S style) so I'm guessing there should be enough room.

bigpete1

if rockers came off you will have no problems at all getting heads off ,pete

Mark222

I have a 4 speed frame solid mount FXEF Evo, grind off an allen wrench to fit, everything else come apart with standard tools.  Head clear, no problem.

Mark

Old Crow

Quote from: Mark222 on December 02, 2008, 06:10:50 PM
I have a 4 speed frame solid mount FXEF Evo, grind off an allen wrench to fit, everything else come apart with standard tools.  Head clear, no problem.

Mark

Hey Mark, my wife's FXEF(also an '85)has a hole in the frame above that bolt.  Just gotta use the long end of the allen wrench(or one of those T-handle style ones).
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Flat Dog

bigpete1

Quote from: Photo John on December 03, 2008, 08:13:45 AM
How about on a 95 Dyna?
might have remove front motor mount and lower engine not certain ,had to do that on my 95 ultra ,look and see how much room you have above rear rocker box ,if it looks like all screws will come out with out hittting frame it will come off with no issues ,pete

bigtone

I did 1 93 Dyna without lowering the engine, they didn't change the frame until 1996. Should be easy.

Mark222

Old Crow-

You are right.  It was the 87 sporty I was thinking of that lacked the clearance.  Must be the brain cells I have killed over the years!  Anyway, the heads come off without moving the engine on the 4 speed Evo frames. 

Mark

Flat Dog