Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, March 02, 2010, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Brand new Daytona twin tech tcfi III and we can not download a map to the unit

We get a error box

""can not establish a rs232 link""

Brand new first time used.

Need help asap with communications

The DTT shop is closed as of 4:30PM est.

Thanks.

Member since 2004

Billy

not familiar with that unit but if it has selectable comm ports, maybe try a different one.  :nix:
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Directions say use com port 5, It automatically selected port 5 and when activating the software port 5 was also selected as the directions said.
Member since 2004

Doshi

I had a similar issue with my TTS two years ago.  Simple solution for me was to turn on kill switch.  Felt like a dumba@@

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

This is the communcation to the PC not to the bike.

A custom map has been created and we are trying to download to the unit.

It appears the pc is not seing the unit or visa versa
Member since 2004

glens

Are you doing this with the ECM on the bench or on the bike?  Is the ECM powered up normally or will the datalink do this for you enough to talk to it?

Okay, I fetched the manual.  Have you followed precisely everything on page 20?

"The USB interface connects to the OE data link.
The OE data link uses a four terminal Deutsch
connector that is usually found near the TCFI unit. All
models require installation of the green PC link jumper
wire (supplied with the TCFI kit) between pin 9 of the
Delphi connector that mates with the TCFI module and
pin 1 of the OE diagnostic connector. Refer to page 41
for details.

Turn the ignition key and engine run/stop
switches on to provide power to the TCFI unit. Do not
start the engine.

If the TCFI unit has been removed from the
motorcycle, you can do bench top programming by
using an adapter harness (P/N TCFI-ADAPT) that
includes a small 12 volt DC power supply."

It sounds like the ECM needs to be powered up and the USB interface needs to be powered up (via the jumper wire mentioned above?).  If both are powered and the driver for the interface was properly installed to your computer, it should be up and running.  Are you saying you've done all this?

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

The unit has a 120 volt power adapter, a coonector from the unit that the power adapter is connected to and the 4 pin connector you refere to. The four pin connector has a counter part( male/female) that goes to a small black box with a selector switch tc88a or tc88, it is set to tc88a, that has a cord that plugs directly to the usb port on the pc. The 4 pin connector has two wires from the DTT unit connector (male) and three wires from the usb/black box with the selector switch.

No idea what the third wire is for but it is not used apparently when connected to the PC set up.

Any thoughts

The jumper is not bieng used as the unit is on a table and not in the bike.

We are trying to (upload) the "map" that has been saved to the DTT software on the pc.
Member since 2004

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I am calling it a night but my friend who has the unit at his house will be monitoring this post for a possible solution. So please feel free to add any suggestions. He may also respond if need be.

I gots to get up early in the am.............

Thanks.
Member since 2004

Clintster

Call Chris at DTT, be warned he is really good on his sytems, but not the most patient with customers.
Drive fast, take chances

Admiral Akbar

Sound like the port is not enumerating.. Or it enumerating at at different location.   On first connect you should see windoze find new hardware and want load a driver.. There is a was to go into the device manager and see what com port was genearated. I'm more of hack tho..

If you look at this laptop, Com5 is already dedicated for a wireless connection.

Get the above view on your own system then plug the cable in with the unit powers, A new com port should pop up.. Set the SW to the new com port.. Schroeder is probably enough of a primadonna software writer that he missed this..

Max

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

The pic you show although different from ours is acurate.

we do have the correct com port and it does show up in the hardware list as shown.

Everything seems to correct, I advised my friend to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them and see if that may help. I will contact him later today. He is going to contact DTT today also.

Will update when I know more.

MAX, May I ask you a question...................Did you by any chance have a few wobblypops before answering this post?............Just saying...........

"""Sound like the port is not enumerating.. Or it enumerating at at different location.   On first connect you should see windoze find new hardware and want load a driver.. There is a was to go into the device manager and see what com port was genearated. I'm more of hack tho.."""""
Member since 2004

Admiral Akbar

If you are talkin' jello shots, then no.. Just some geek lingo I picked up working on personal craputers and them little portable telephones.. Max

aceman2101

I have a DTT for a carbed bike and have never been able to get it to work either. Are you using a serial cable or the USB

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

It is a usb cable, My friend purchased all the components to do map up loads from his PC, He tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and no go.

He got called back early to his normal job and I am waiting for him to give me a shout.
I offered to bring over my laptop and try it with that.

He has NOT call DTT yest either so All I can do for now is wait to hear back from him.

Again the only issue is communications to the DTT ecm from the PC.  NO BIKE CONNECTED.

What is strange with the DTT ecm, you would think it would have a led to tell you it has power/it is on. There seems to be no way to tell if the power apapter actually is powering it or not......other than checking for voltage at the connector........
Member since 2004

aharp

Quote from: Clintster on March 02, 2010, 06:00:15 PM
Call Chris at DTT, be warned he is really good on his sytems, but not the most patient with customers.

Funny. Not at all the first time I've heard that statement
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

harleytoprock

As per the DTT instructions do you have the jumper wire installed at the data link?
Is the ignition on when uploading?
Does the device manager port match the program communications port?
I had a bad unit once that wouldn't communicate, I had to it return to Chris for repair.

harleytoprock

Hreagle

I'd have to agree with harleytoprock, if you can't establish an RS232 communication link the solution is usually quite simple. Either you've selected the wrong port, or the device isn't able to connect because it's not powered up, not connected, or defective. Re-loading drivers is generally an act of desperation and almost never repairs the problem. There is also the chance that your cable is defective or not plugged in properly. There is also the off chance that the com port number selected for use has a resource conflict that's preventing the port from flowing data, but that's a remote possibility, at least if you're using Windoze XP. It's always good diagnostic procedure, if it's possible, to connect a known good device to your com port with your cable and test everything from your port through your cable to make sure those things are working properly, but unfortunately with an odd interface cable like you're using that's probably not possible unless you had another good controller to test with. My best WAG would be that you have something really simple wrong.

Eagle

HD/Wrench

Install the USB into another port and then go from there. You may have to try several coms port settting ( number wise) until it works , as well the inline module switch is backwards of the setting you need.

RKC100

Same thing with ports when I had DTT. Had to find a different port. Got the II version for sale-cheap!
03 RKC: 117 Built and dyno tuned by Steve @ GMR Perf 124HP-139TQ  FYI   S&S cyls

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Thanks so far for all the replies,

For those who missed it in earlier posts,

There is no bike connections at this point. This is only on the table between the ecm (DTT) and the PC. I believe the jumper is used only when connected to the bike, correct? if so then it is not connected because it is not attached to the bike.

When I speak with him again I will suggest switching usb ports on the pc.

There were NO conflicts I could see,  Com 5 for the usb port (PC) and selected Com 5 in the DTT software.

As soon as I get more I will let you know.

Thanks again
Member since 2004

Admiral Akbar

So did you check the device manager to see if the port shows up in the device manager when you connect power and plug it into the PC?

Max

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Member since 2004

Admiral Akbar

Quote""can not establish a rs232 link""

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on March 06, 2010, 04:41:46 PM
yes, It does show up and the com port is correct.

Thanks

Sounds strange.. I'd try and move both to a different com port.. If the unit can get far enough to connect to the port then it should be able to talk.. Try opening hyper-terminal and connecting to the port.. Don't need to type anything just see if HT connects..  Maybe some other app is grabbing the port.. Try another putor if you got one..

Max

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Max,

That is what I suggested to him so when time permits I will bring my laptop over.

It is strange as everything appears to work as described both by me here and by the directions from DTT.

I will say his desktop pc is not as I would like to see, it is a Emachine and it seems to struggle when certain apps are run. I think he has a need for more memory and some application cleaning. When I first got there his pc took over 5 + minutes to boot.........all kinds of stuff running in the back ground. Also he installed Fios (verizon) anti virous and I think that is causing all kinds of performance issues.....

It is tough to go to someone elses pc who has not spent much time keeping it running very clean or upgraded some basic things such as memeory to help make it run more efficiantly.

As soon I get more input from him or get my laptop over to try I will let you know.

I am also going to try to "get" a used pc from work with a clean hard drive and set it up for him with only what he needs for apps.........with lots of memory!!
Member since 2004