May 02, 2024, 06:47:46 AM

News:

The Cure Vent / vent plus

Started by coolingfin, December 02, 2008, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolingfin

Hello, I'm a new guy here...sorta, I lurked on the old site...

I'm installing new rocker box gaskets in my 1996 Electra Glide Standard that I bought about a year ago.   The bike is stock, except for the jetting and the modified stock mufflers.  It still has the stock air cleaner assembly, including the backing plate.  I've never had a problem with any oil coming through the breather and into the air cleaner assembly.  It's a well maintained, low mileage bike (less than 10K miles)

However, I might like to switch to a higher flowing air cleaner assembly like and S&S, Screamin Eagle or Ness.  Is such a switch likely to increase the chances of oil from the breather system escaping / discharging onto the outside of the motor.  That seemed to be the case with a friend's bike.

Should I install The Cure Vent or The Cure Vent Plus while I'm in the rocker boxes in anticipation of going to a higher flow air cleaner later?

Also, would it be better to not use the Plus version, but rather add some sort of check valve to the lines after the exit the heads to make the check valve serviceable without having to go into the rocker boxes?

I'm tempted to leave well enough alone, but I don't want to have to go back into the rocker boxes if I install a high flow air cleaner assembly soon.

riden2low

Have the plus in my 93 Fatboy and no problems. Just came back from a 2000 miles trip and no oil any where.

coolingfin

Thanks for the response.
I presume you were having the oil discharge problem before you installed The Cure Vent Plus... is that right?
What modifications were done to the motor before installing The Cure Vent Plus?  Did any of those cause the oil discharge to get worse?

stroker800

I have modified custom evo with the S&S breather set up,,,,,NO nose cone drips in 3 years.....Lucky I guess.
Dave

verson22

riden2low

Quote from: coolingfin on December 03, 2008, 06:02:03 AM
Thanks for the response.
I presume you were having the oil discharge problem before you installed The Cure Vent Plus... is that right?
What modifications were done to the motor before installing The Cure Vent Plus?  Did any of those cause the oil discharge to get worse?

Yes, some oil problems but wasn't all that bad compared to others. I found out as I was going to install the "cure plus" that the old cover gasket had sort of covered one return oil hole. While I had the covers off I replaced the umbrellas too. My mods are not wild. I have a E27 cam and while I was in there I had replaced the old oil breather gear with the S&S reed valve. I think that helped too. My exhaust set up is with Hooker Trouble Makers. I was always getting oil thrown back on the oil tank and now I might get a couple of drops at most. My bike has 35,000 miles on it and thinking of removing the heads and have them done. As that will make the cam work like it was meant to

bobrk1

had a little problem with the oil coming out, I pluged off the back of the aircleaner and went to parts store and got a piece of vent hose because its a thin hose and ran it fron the breather fitting behind the pushrods down in front of the trans and out the back like on a shovelhead, just make sure it runs downhill so the oil wont collect in the line. I get a drop once in a while, my bro gets a lot when we stop, more if he's beating on it, but at least its not all over the bike.