May 04, 2024, 11:29:19 PM

News:

Stage 1 problem

Started by axe, December 02, 2008, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axe

I have a 2008 Roadglide. I just put a D&D fat cat 2into1, an Arlen Ness stage 1 air cleaner and a Power Commander. Now the oil pressure is higher. After the motor is warm it stays at about 40 psi at 3000 rpm it was about 28 psi. Also the pipe seems extremely hot. Sitting at a light it feels lie it is going to set my jeans on fire. Anyone had a problem like this? If so what kind on fix did you find. I have reloaded the Power Commander map to make sure I had the correct one.

Thanks for any help

AXE

JimB

Nothing you mentioned would affect the oiling system - might check with your dealer or mechanic and ask them

Primary reason for extreme heat is a lean fuel condition in the motor. Did you install a canned PC III map or have it dyno tuned ?
A Dyno tune is always recommended for any fuel injection controller
You can manually bump the fuel adjustment by using the buttons on the unit. Your instruction manual tells you how to do it.

axe

I did use the canned map. I will get it to a dyno.  The oil pressure is a concern. Could the Air filter kit affect the oil pressure. It does change the the crank case breather.

FLTRI

Quote from: axe on December 02, 2008, 10:04:49 AM
I did use the canned map. I will get it to a dyno.  The oil pressure is a concern. Could the Air filter kit affect the oil pressure. It does change the the crank case breather.
Once you get it tuned for your exactly engine and its idiosyncrasies, the temp will come down.
Oil pressure is not controlled by anything you have done.
Most complain of low pressure. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the gauge peg itself when the revs are up, then you for sure have a problem with the oil pump pressure relief not operating properly.
Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Bakon

Should not be 40. Unless you went in cam compartment I doubt you caused this. Take it back to dealer. Something is clogged or stuck.
wasting time

axe

Thanks for your suggestions. I called Harley the service guy said that 40 psi is not a problem. I am putting it on the dno next week.

AXE

03deuce

I also have an 08 Roadglide and I believe at 3000 rpm my oil pressure is in the 34 to 36 range.  If you want an exact reading, I could note it next time I'm out riding.  Since most people want more pressure (within reason) versus less, and spend money and effort to achieve this, I wouldn't be worried about 40 psi. 
As others have mentioned, the high heat sounds like a lean running engine.  Not sure if your PC retains the O2 sensors or not, but I've been happy with nightrider IEDs as an inexpensive way to richen up the closed loop portion of the ECM map. 

x52gnr

Quote from: axe on December 02, 2008, 09:35:09 AM
I have a 2008 Roadglide. I just put a D&D fat cat 2into1, an Arlen Ness stage 1 air cleaner and a Power Commander. Now the oil pressure is higher. After the motor is warm it stays at about 40 psi at 3000 rpm it was about 28 psi. Also the pipe seems extremely hot. Sitting at a light it feels lie it is going to set my jeans on fire. Anyone had a problem like this? If so what kind on fix did you find. I have reloaded the Power Commander map to make sure I had the correct one.

Thanks for any help

AXE

35-40 psi on my Ultra.......about 6psi at hot idle
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

axe

Thanks again for all of the help