May 04, 2024, 09:30:25 PM

News:

Another Cylinder Stud Question

Started by crazycalvin, December 02, 2008, 10:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

At compression ratio do the stock factory installed studs begin to stretch easily?  I was under the impression that a fastener stretches when torqued.  I realize the stud is going to stretch when head bolt is torqued and when cylinder pressure is applied, but is it going to stretch to a certain point and stop or keep stretching?  Local dealer told me they use SE studs on everything that has higher than stock compression because the factory studs stretch and you will eventually get a head gasket leak.  Thanks, Calvin.

Don D

Not sure I know how to say this "PC" but the dealer is wrong
In fact the OEM studs are preferred.

KingofCubes

The stud is like a spring and when you take it to torque you are loading it. As the engine warms up, the heads and cylinders grow and if the torque is too great or the engine gets very hot, the stud will exceed it's designed spring effect. I replace the studs when ever I do a performance package because I don't know the history of the stud. I do not use the SE studs because they are not shouldered and have a tendency to work on the threads of the case.

crazycalvin

Well there we have it!  Two different answers from two people I believe know their "Potty mouth"!  My studs are the factory installed studs, only been torqued at the factory, on 2006 bike, and have 8000 miles on them.  I am expecting CCP around 202 psi according to the Big Boyz TC calculator.  This is less than the 103 BB kit with SE255 cams.  KingofCubes, thanks for the explanation and what do you consider a performance build?  Thanks, Calvin.

Don D

I think our answers may not be that different
I do not use the SE studs for the reasons King mentioned and the OEM studs are fine for all of the builds I have done with stock cases. I would guess King replaces the stock studs with the same OEM part, just wants the added insurance they are not work hardened because of an unknown history.
Had plenty of head gasket issues with EVOs but the TC has been trouble free for me. I use Cometic HG and torque to their specification. Some of my builds have been at 225 ccp without issue.

crazycalvin

crazycalvin

How do you get the old ones out?  Apply heat to the stud or do you apply it the case?  I am thinking to the stud.  How much heat do you apply?  Thanks again, Calvin.

jsachs1

December 03, 2008, 06:34:44 AM #7 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:37:44 AM by jsachs1
Third answer.
MOST aftermarket engine manufacturers use STOCK MoCo cylinder studs,with NO problems.
IMO,the weak link is FIRST-the case threads.  :angry:
                         SECOND-the head bolts.  :angry:
Big bore motors use a much wider stud spread pattern,putting even more stress on the studs,and the MoCo ones still survive.
John

crazycalvin

Thanks for the replies.  John with what you said, I think I will try my luck on the current studs in the motor which are the factory stock studs.  As I stated in my other post, the motor is and '06 and only has 8000 miles on it and I have owned it from day one.  I attempted to loosen one stud using the jam nut method with no heat and it didn't even budge.  I am concerned with removing the studs due to the fact that it is a steel stud against an aluminum case and that could cause an issue with the threads due to dissimilar metals.  Thanks, Calvin.

GoFast.....

December 03, 2008, 06:51:43 AM #9 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:58:57 AM by GoFast.....
Quote from: Deweysheads on December 02, 2008, 11:34:01 AM
I think our answers may not be that different
I do not use the SE studs for the reasons King mentioned and the OEM studs are fine for all of the builds I have done with stock cases. I would guess King replaces the stock studs with the same OEM part, just wants the added insurance they are not work hardened because of an unknown history.
Had plenty of head gasket issues with EVOs but the TC has been trouble free for me. I use Cometic HG and torque to their specification. Some of my builds have been at 225 ccp without issue.
I agree with Don here. The bolts on a TC engine are not a problem unless you are going raceing and running crazy compression. Think of the thousands of Hopups on the road with the stock bolts. I myself have not heard of one problem with them. My brother even runs the bottle on his and has had no problems and it is a 2001 model. The older Harleys had problems with them but it was not the bolts it was the bolts pulling out of the cases. You talk about problems. Now there is one :cry:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

crazycalvin

Got it! :idea:  I will go with the stockers!  Thanks to everyone for their replies and putting it into perspective for me.  Thanks again, Calvin.

KingofCubes

Quote from: crazycalvin on December 02, 2008, 11:26:12 AM
what do you consider a performance build?  Thanks, Calvin.
Stage 2 and up.