April 28, 2024, 05:13:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

primary cover fitment

Started by gary11623, December 02, 2008, 03:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary11623

Hi all, question is, will the primary cover and cam cover from my 74 fxe fit my 82 sturgis. The sturgis has some very nice chrome on it. Primary  ,cam cover ,belt guard,horn cover, coil cover, etc. Want to get it all powder coated black, would swap the old stuff (outter primary and cam cover) off the fxe. Going with powder because I can get it done at work for free. Thanks and happy holidays, Gary

Lew

December 02, 2008, 06:26:57 PM #1 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:06:22 PM by lewy1313
The only things that might be problems are the outer primary covers and the belt guard.  Some chain drive covers fit up and work ok on the belt drive inners and some don't....vice versa.  Depends on the machining on the starter shaft bushing boss.  I'd fit it up and check to make sure it fits ok and that the starter is going to work ok also.  Belt guard won"t work on the chain guard swingarm without hitting the tire.  Everything else should swap out no problem.  Just be sure to check/adjust camshaft end play after the cover swap.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Joe_Curlew

December 02, 2008, 08:44:18 PM #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:50:02 PM by Joe_Curlew
 :crook:

The primary cover will most likely not fit.  My 82 sturgis would not take a chain primary cover,  I tried.
Compare the depth of the starter shaft bushing face in the cover from the primary gasket surface.  If the depth  is the same then it will probably work.  If it is different, it's not going to happen.

I don't remember all the details,  it may have gone on but would not operate properly.  So be sure it actually functions
if it goes on. 
Before you check the fit, be sure to remove the ground wire off the battery so the starter doesn't engage if you move the solenoid arm.  It would make a mess out of some of the parts, not to mention your hand, if it is in the way.

Also when you check it put the ground on the frame with vise grips the first time.  That way if the starter won't disengage you can quickly disconnect the battery.

As Gary said the cam cover should work just fine, and do check those clearances.   The chances of them being right is slim to none.

Merry Christmas :wink:
Joe

dave_9113

I've heard Cometic primary gaskets are reuseable.  Maybe you should try them, so you can save some $$ later when taking/putting it off/on.

dave