May 01, 2024, 06:44:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

91 FXR engine/tranny sprocket removal

Started by fdrdr1, December 02, 2008, 03:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdrdr1

1991 FXR - had some issue with a primary knock in a previous post. Pulled the primary and found that the engine sprocket did not appear to be assembled the way HD manual says (spacer was in behind the nut or on the inside of the cover - not sure because when I removed the nut and cover separately the spacer just dropped - great!). It appears in the manual that the spacer is up against the rotor cover - not sure now - any help? Then, while the bike is on the lift I rotate the rear tire and hear a click in the same spot near the tranny sprocket. I then pull the inner primary and rotate the main tranny shaft and do not hear anything - rotate the sprocket and hear a click in the exact same spot. Hmmm - I am thinking mabye the sprocket, just hoping not the trans. Could a tranny sprocket be bad? - Thanks

bobrk1

clicking in the same spot, got me wondering if maybe the bearing is going bad, got a lot of miles? Got over 118k on mine and I"m thinking about pulling it apart and changing bearings for preventive maintainence.